Posts by wakibaki

Lest anybody get impatient to see some code, here's the first, basic program in its entirety:-     list p=16F690 #include __CONFIG _FCMEN_OFF & _IESO_OFF & _BOR_OFF & _CPD_OFF & _CP_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _PWRTE_OFF & _WDT_OFF & _INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT cblock h'20' rflag sflag dflag endc ORG 0x000 bcf STATUS,RP1 bcf STATUS,RP0 ; 00, BANK 0 movlw b'11111111' movwf PORTA ; PORTA...
Back again.   I said I would show a couple of applications using 7-segment displays, and I will, but in the meantime I needed to develop something for myself, so I'm going to show it first.   A friend of mine recently suggested using a stepper motor to drive a pot or stepped attenuator for a remote, powered volume control.   As it happened I had just learned a new technique for PCB layout.   Some components are circular, such as tubes. Previously, when...
Android stick. Hadn't seen those. Cool.   I already got my wife's Nexus 7 playing audio off the NAS, so it should be a snap with an android stick.   w
  If I only had a dollar for every time I heard this.       Thanks, but I notice yours doesn't work...     The issue I ran unto is pops and clicks using my USB DAC. As I have stated numerous times. I've got no desire to spend another 10 or 20 hours ferreting through a bunch of ill-documented rigmarole to end up with pops and clicks.   When yours works, come back and tell me how you did it.   w   It's not a Fiio, it's a Behringer, which uses one of the...
@ofs   That's pretty much where I ended up.   For anyone else...     What I need is a straightforward set of instructions with no missing details on how to go from a RPi + blank SD card + generic USB DAC to a system where you can load a (16/44k1) .wav file onto the SD card and play it back over the USB with no pops, clicks, audio hash or interruptions whatsoever.   Headless is not required, I'll treat that as a separate issue and get to it when I've got...
  That's a good thought, something common to both channels. It could be something as simple as a failed solder joint though, due to thermal stress.   The starting point with any fault finding exercise is to use your eyes. Just inspect the assembly for anything that looks wrong. Burnt, loose...    w
Bytes, data types and ASCII   Before we move on to writing a program, there is another topic that I want to touch on.   This is related to the format for data, the byte, 8 bits.   The byte is very important as a fundamental unit for storage and processing, and an appreciation of why this is the case is important in programming of all kinds, so although we are not going to use the ASCII code here, I think it is worth a mention, because I'm trying to give an...
  So what do you draw from that? The intrinsic quality of the performance is not sufficient to carry the day. ...or, to put it another way, it was crap before, but now you can hear clearly that it's crap.   Seriously, I'm not trying to ignite a controversy here, but you can go and listen to an old Django Reinhart recording from the '40s, and still marvel at the artistry of the man. It's not stereo. It's got hiss and crackle. The bass is missing by today's standards...  ...
Yeah, Cardas is indicted as one of the 'Black Hats' of audio by Peter Aczel.   Anybody interested honest audio evaluation, as opposed to opening oneself to exploitation by the unscrupulous, should read Peter Aczel in 'The Audio Critic'. The back issues are free to download.   http://www.theaudiocritic.com/   w
  Foul, ref. !!! Low blow there.   w