Posts by wakibaki

τὸν κρατοῦντα μαλθακῶς θεὸς πρόσωθεν εὐμενῶς προσδέρκεται. w
Don't use plumbing solder. Don't use solder of unknown content. Buy some leaded multicore flux-bearing electronics solder, preferably 63/37 eutectic with a mil-spec flux. It's nice, but not essesential, to have different gauges for fine and coarse work. w
I was just pulling your leg. w
If you mean 'reducing the free movement of electrons in the material of the cup itself', you could use a dielectric instead of a conductor for the cup, but of course there will be displacement currents. w
LTC3260 looks like an interesting device. No sooner will it be built into an audio device than it will be found to be 'audible' in some detrimental manner. To avoid criticism in some quarters, you should take care that any USB device you design is carefully thought out to exclude any noise from the PC or other host device, particularly on the power lines, and prevent it passing through, as this is often held to be a cause of degraded sound quality in USB devices. Since...
What is audible is subject to constant dispute. There is a lot of discomfort about switching power supplies. It depends anyway on the PSRR of whatever the other circuits are. Anecdotes abound about problems with USB power. You can build it and measure it or listen to it. If it looks OK measured using your soundcard as input, or if you simply think it sounds OK, then use it. w
IMO the only people who are worrying about type of solder are those with the luxury of not having any serious design choices to make. w
This is my second toaster oven, I bought the first for a place I worked at, everything was done on a shoestring.While I think it's admirable in a way to try to mimic the profiling of a professional oven, I think it's a wasted effort for amateur use. I've had no problems I could attribute to a poor temperature profile. Industrial use is a bit different from amateur. Thousands of boards per hour may be being processed, and a run of defects can be very expensive. No-one wants...
Cheaper than a soldering iron:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toaster-Mini-Oven-1000W-9-Lite-Oven-Broil-Bake-Toast-FREE-Baking-Tray-More-/271077604952?pt=UK_HGKitchen_SmallApp_RL&hash=item3f1d7bfe58 Obviously this eBay is not local to you, but you should be able to find one or arrange postage. I make brass solder stencils by etching. I use toner transfer to mask the brass. The process is very forgiving. The solder paste can be quite ill-defined and still succeed because of...
Done a few designs with this chip... http://www.head-fi.org/t/555770/what-i-did-with-tpa6120 http://www.head-fi.org/t/586042/what-i-did-next-with-texas-headamp-chip-a-digital-control-desktop-portable You can see quite a large hand wound inductor I used at the output, I also built it with a 1Meg ferrite, I had no problems with oscillation in either case (or without). The amps looked good tested with RMAA, but it's not possible to verify the performance absolutely without...