Posts by wakibaki

Er, English beer, except it might not be neutral.   w
Sorry I haven't written anything here for a while, I'm having some trouble with the 16F690 voltmeter.   I've got the meter working with a 16F887 with a non-multiplexed display, i.e the A/D code works, I've got the display working multiplexed with the 16F690, but I can't get the A/D to work with the multiplexed display. It's occupied several days now without significant progress. The minute I enable the A/D the display goes haywire. Something in the interrupt service...
  Yes, there's a certain amount of truth in that, but...   1. People who weren't high on LSD also loved feeling their body vibrate from it. I know this because I took the LSD partway through the concert.     2. I've yet to encounter any headphones which make my body vibrate, but I can still tell when the bass is inadequate.   w   As for doctor dre... please - not in the same breath as the Dead.
There are differences between equipment, but as long as your equipment goes loud enough and meets a certain basic standard, they are pretty insignificant. Very cheap equipment can have poor SQ, but it's not necessary to spend a lot of money to get good sound quality these days. Most people agree that a Sansa Clip+ (U$35) is pretty ****ing good, and the measurements confirm that. If you pair that with some Klipsch Image S4 in-ear phones (U$45) or Koss Portapros (U$35)...
Bass reproduction presented more of a problem in the past (and still does to a certain extent). You can't easily get bass with a small speaker. If an amplifier is AC coupled, a comparatively large capacitor is required to pass bass frequencies. Treble and mids are rarely missing, so people specify that they want bass.   That's all she wrote.   w
  Why not go and listen to some of the audibility examples on Ethan Winer's site and see if you still believe this...   http://www.ethanwiner.com/   w
OK, best for somebody local to take this on...   w
I haven't got round to the PCB rebuild, but I did find the problem with the original build. As I thought, the problem was with a 220u cap in the PSU which I dented while wrestling with the heater supply. I was reluctant to go for a repair, I was thinking of a complete rebuild, but after leaving the amp to sit for a few weeks, I figured a way to do the repair that wasn't too ugly. I replaced the cap, fortunately I had a spare on hand, and the tick, tick, ticking sound...
Where are you?   w
Yes, p a t r i c k, we all know that, but so what?   You might even know it if you were an audio reviewer, but what are you going to do for a living instead? It was basically because audio equipment was reaching a general level of quality that there wasn't any need for reviewers anymore that they invented all this 'subjective' BS in the first place.   The question is, how are we gonna change it? ...or maybe even - do we want to change it? After all, a lot of jobs...