Posts by wakibaki

A few more sims:   All these are fed from a low impedance source, the amplifier worst-case input impedance is ~25k. It drives 16 ohms with gain, not much gain, but it's a reasonable impedance transformation, and it's sensitivity is in the correct range for typical sources, 1- 2V for full output, depending on load impedance, and it'll drive 600 ohms to 9V peak. It's a bit better than a buffer, about what you might expect for a headphone amp to meet a present-day...
  This is the view held by Peter Aczel, editor of 'The Audio Critic'.   http://www.theaudiocritic.com/   If you haven't seen The Audio Critic, you might enjoy reading a few of the back issues.   My own view is that while there might be tiny perceptible differences between DACs, they are truly tiny, and any time spent trying to hear them is just time that could be better spent listening to music, and moreover that anyone who focuses on this as a serious issue cannot be...
I thought you might like to know...   One day I was testing a radio (transmitter/receiver) at work. It was a 12 Watt shortwave military radio with a built in antenna tuner.   The radio was obviously turned on and the antenna tuner was cranked right up to the extreme end of its adjustment, but there was no antenna connected.   Somehow, as I picked up the radio, I managed to operate the transmit key while the finger of one hand brushed the antenna...
It's not DIY, but a Sansa Clip+ has good sound, goes pretty loud, drives most phones, is a nice thing to have, and is nearly inside your budget. You need access to a computer to get tracks onto it, but you must have that if you can post here. It's probably the single best value-for-money hi-fi buy.   A Behringer UCA202 USB DAC/ADC is another cheap, good-value hi-fi item, drives most phones, maybe a bit quiet with some, works for recording too.   You can get a DAC...
  Oh, no, I understand that aspect all too well. I simply don't approve.     It's not so much the guy selling the piece of gear, it's the guy who's buying it, who, in your words 'thinks he has to own the best of everything' when there are people in the Congo with a yearly income of Int$373. Maybe you think that the guy buying the gear is so much better than the guy in the Congo that he deserves to be in that position, but I think that for the large part it's sheer...
  I'm not entirely sure that that's true. Certainly in the UK the gap between rich and poor is increasing, and if it continues to increase, not only will it have a negative effect on social cohesion, but the UK, as a country attempting to compete commercially in a World of countries, will be at a disadvantage, because poor also means poor health, poorly fed, poorly motivated, poorly educated. And rich guys don't fix the toilet.   Look at Russia. A century...
  Now that is a good point, which hadn't occurred to me.   w
We tried engine turning on a CNC mill at work, the effect was very good, but very expensive, because the brush would wear and the effect changed from one side of a panel to another, so you had to change the brush frequently. One botched roundel and the panel was irretrievable in some cases.   w
Audiocraftersguild?   Engineering design is not a craft.   A guild is a kind of medieval labour union. Not a society of sorcerers.   You can't expect much from anyone who can't make distinctions on this level.   Blind testing is the gold standard for scientific evidence. That's how, when you're at your most vulnerable, when the doctor tells you, 'you have cancer', you don't get sold a pig in a poke when it comes to treatment. If you don't subscribe to...
I have more than one chain. 6 or 7, and probably more.   I have 2 PCs that I listen to, and a couple of laptops that I don't listen to any more, 'cause I don't go to work any more. I have an M-audio 2496 and a Behringer UCA-202 USB codec. I have a couple of DAPs (Sony) and a phone, sometimes I feed them through an amp. I have at least 4 different headphone amps that get use, 1 tube, 1 LME49600, 1 TPA6120, and 1 with 16*NE5532s (8 P/C), all of which I designed and...