Posts by wakibaki

Thanks, everybody, for the good wishes.   You have really put the stiffness back in my spine, I was beginning to sag a bit.   I know I have not been the easiest guy to get along with; waspish, impatient and abrupt when I feel that others are not giving of their best.   I half-remember a line from an old film, it went something like:- 'A good man was never spoiled by an unjust blow'. This does not, however, excuse lashing out willy-nilly, and for any unjust...
Hi quincy   I see you quote dollar prices, so I guess you are in the US.   http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/ have a driver 'Audio Nirvana Super 3 Cast Frame' that just sneaks in under your budget @ U$88 / pair. If you buy these they'll give you a box design sheet with them.   Audio Nirvana are about as good value as you'll get anywhere. I haven't heard the 'Super 3s', but I have heard more than one speaker from the range, and I have a pair of 'Super...
  Yes, but both these options will cost more in quiescent current, and simpler is not without its advantages. I've never been an advocate of virtual grounds and I drew up this circuit in the middle of the night, and have had little opportunity to think about improving it, having been obliged to defend it versus a much worse performing circuit in part due to your interventions.   w
  At least some of us have the good grace not to edit our posts retrospectively to remove our mistakes in an effort to make ourselves look better.   If you don't like the site you have the option of posting elsewhere.   w
It's designed by weiliang, his designs seem to be comparatively highly regarded.   w
You may have noticed that some of my projects have become a bit erratic recently. This is in part because I have been distracted, waiting for the results of various medical investigations. A couple of days ago I discovered that yes, I have suffered from a recurrence of the lung cancer that I had surgery for 3 years ago. This is not the worst possible news, the surgeon is prepared to have another go at getting it all out. All it will cost is another chunk of lung. Who...
I didn't notice that.   I never use anything greater than CD quality (16/44k1) and the experts (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/) say you can't hear any difference from higher sample speeds or bit depths. In fact there are quite a few here in the sound science forum (who have done A/B tests) who will tell you that good MP3s are very, very hard to distinguish from CDs, and that any difference is not worth bothering about.   Lots of people will tell you...
Thanks are due to KT88, who pointed out that the bases of the transistors can be driven too negative (or positive in the case of the PNP) in this arrangement. This is easily solved by the addition of a couple of diodes.   He also suggested going down to one opamp, and moving the feedback takeoff point. This requires the addition of a couple more diodes, and the circuit then looks as below:-         The red and blue traces show the voltage on the...
The coax is regular SPDIF, not optical.   The transformer has 15-0-15 and 9-0-9.. It's good for a total of 30watts.   The amplifier wants 240mA 15-0-15, that's ~7.5 watts. The transformer probably splits the power capacity equally between the 15 and 9V sections, so there's probably another 250mA available on the 15V windings   The DAC wants 15-0-15 and one 9V winding. The current it wants is probably negligible, so I think that you can run both amp and DAC...