Posts by wakibaki

Here's an idea I've been playing with...     I recently 'discovered' how to make circular PCB features.   I used to make footprints for tubes by drawing a silkscreen circle, and then using trigonometry to calculate the positions for the pads to the nearest thou. It works, but it's cumbersome. Then it occurred to me I could use the 'block rotate' facility to do this. Draw a circle round the sheet center, place one pad at a known distance, select a...
I think tomb's characterization of the behaviour as resembling the Pied Piper and his followers contains an element of truth, but it is worth recognizing that there was a different piper before that and probably a different piper before that. At least one of those pipers though that increasing complication (such as introducing a ground channel) would automatically result in an increase in sound quality, but this is certainly not borne out by instrumented test. Of course...
J Epstein, thanks for the encouragement. Some interesting stuff on your site.   elliottstudio, thanks for the transformer data. nikongod, thanks for helping keep the thread alive.     I managed to get the heater supply board for the second build done. It should be working in the next couple of days.   Unfortunately some new symptoms have meant that the oncologist sent me for a CAT scan, the surgeon sent me for a PET scan and I'm keeping my fingers...
You really need a pair of regular (not powered) speakers to use with the Technics. You can't plug the Creative speakers into the amplified output of the Technics.   I'd run the integrated soundcard into the Technics amp, once you've got some speakers to go with it. With decent speakers it should easily outperform the T10s. If you find there is a lot of background noise or otherwise poor sound quality you can try the M-audio Blackbox, but it's probably better to keep...
Best to replace the blown ones with IDENTICAL parts.   Best NOT to replace them with anything BUT identical parts.   Drivers have 3 principal specifications. Power handling, impedance, efficiency. At very least pick a tweeter with the same power handling, impedance and efficiency.   Get it wrong and you will have a pair of speakers that are useless. You will have spent some money and you will still need a new pair of speakers.   I think you will find it...
  The answer is ... it depends.   The question is too broad. Which LDO regulator? Which SMPS? With what switching frequency? What do you mean by 'effectively'?   You can calculate or estimate the effect. You can build it and measure or listen to it. You can adopt a PSU known to work effectively with the kind of headamp you are proposing.   An LDO regulator will provide some attenuation of switching noise when used after an SMPS.
If you want an amp that will probably compete with the O2 you could look at my LME49600 design, which uses the very highest quality components deployed in the most advantageous topology and has some features such as DC coupling throughout, an extremely low output offset courtesy of a DC servo, short-circuit protection and thermal shutdown and switch-on and -off 'thump' suppression, none of which are provided by the O2. It also has considerably higher output current...
Not really. The first prototype was built in under 2 weeks IIRC. What I can tell you is that since I stopped treating it like a job I had to finish to a price, I've had some fun.   I don't want this thread to spiral off into another disagreement about costs.   Whatever it's cost me, it wasn't so much I couldn't afford to put it all in the public domain.   I'm not about arguing with people who think good SQ should be expensive, I'm about trying to make it...
I believe the Mouser BOM which Avro_Arrow posted in the thread is accurate, but I prefer 565-1577-ND for the electrolytics as they are 15mm tall. This will ensure that they clear the extrusions in the recommended case. I will move the footprint slightly in a future iteration so that taller caps will also fit.   This is now a well-proven design with some desirable features.   1) It fits an attractive off-the-shelf enclosure and is completely self contained (PSU is...
Yes, I've got a couple of irons in the fire as far as development is concerned.   These things seem to be multiplying...     I'm still interested in this design, so I'm experimenting with what can be achieved at the lowest cost (hence the reverb transformers) and with the greatest simplicity, but also seeing what the best performance obtainable is without pushing up the price too much.     I've got quite a lot of components for this on hand including...