Posts by wakibaki

Forget stylish. Budget-high-performance is a fashion statement anyway. Buy a pair of Koss Portapros.   w
This is going to be pretty much a matter of personal preference. If you look on ebay you will find a range of plastic and even natural sponges. Probably of more consequence is the covering material and whether it effects a seal, if that is the manufacturer's intent.   If you're worried about changing the sound, change one and compare it with the unchanged one.   There are also aftermarket pads for most phones, although you don't say what you've got.   w
Rewired, I think, is the key. Chances are there's a dry joint in there somewhere. The kind of radiated energy you're talking about needs a high impedance environment or rectification (or amplification) to become audible. This is only likely to occur in the circumstances you describe because you have introduced a 'pseudo' component, such as a cracked or incompletely wetted joint which is acting as a high resistance or perhaps a diode. Although I say "likely to occur", this...
What a great finding. This shows that it is possible to DIY systems with superb quality without enormous cost, although it is obvious that Wachara could have bought many off-the-shelf systems for his investment in money and time. A standard electrostatic capsule would be seized on by many people, I think. The idea of organising production of one is so compelling that I will be forced to investigate it if nobody else appears to be doing so. Fred
Good, you have blind test results to support this?w
I have a lot of pairs of "giveaway" quality earphones. I bought a bunch of low-capacity DAPs in a clearance, amongst other things. I'd just cut the cable off one of those. Perhaps you have, or could access a similar source? w Oh, sometimes difficult cables are better crimped. You may have to be inventive and even resort to a hybrid crimp/solder bridge.
The battery market is a fast-changing scene. You can get these lithium based batteries with 500mAh nominal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soshine-LI-ION-9V-500mAh-Rechargeable-Battery-x-2pcs-/300631852239?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item45ff0e04cf ...or these NiMh with 400mAh: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-9V-9-Volt-400mAH-PP3-NiMH-Rechargeable-Battery-uc-/350479110342?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item519a2ed0c6 These will make a difference...
A 9V NiMh rechargeable is a good choice for a cmoy, although l prefer to use 2. Exactly which one to choose really depends on where you live, and availability in the local market. w
Well, I'll kick off and say something, my guess is that an open back is a close approach to an infinite baffle speaker installation in a room. Speaker (box) design is mostly about suppressing or modifying and controlling the sound that comes off the back of the speaker. One way of doing this is to port the back of the speaker to the outside air. Very little of the unwanted sound may be heard in a suitably massive installation. This is similar to the situation with...
Touched a raw nerve there, evidently. w