Posts by wakibaki

Connect 0V together, connect bias to diaphragm.   w
No product survives by right. It is not laid down in tablets of stone that DIY designs and kits deserve adoption. The rationale for their existence was never strong, if a single design, the O2, could so seriously upset the marketplace. It is not true that there is 'nothing left to do'. The design of custom enclosures is just becoming accessible, via CNC routing or 3D printing. The O2 was intended to meet a standard of performance affording transparency, and with certain...
OK, what do you mean by a kit? A set of 4 PCBs or an assembled capsule with a pretensioned diaphragm? That is a much bigger ask. Edit: Cross post - I see what you mean by a kit. I can visualise building a stretcher to apply a constant tension from diaphragm to diaphragm, but that would be a time consuming task to calibrate, and would probably force me to take on MOT status, which I am reluctant to do, whereas I could supply PCBs at cost+, which I do already for other...
I can get 0.6, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.6, 2.0 mm thicknesses. 0.6 & 2.0 cost extra. It's unfortunate that 0.5 is not available, but I hope that the 0.6 will still prove acceptable I thought that for the stator the stiffest one at no extra cost was the one to go for, but 0.8 is the same price. Do you think there is an advantage to the thinner one? In sound quality? I have kept the capacitance as low as I could conveniently, I can maybe improve it slightly. The prices are...
This is a 100mm diameter stator and diaphragm pair.       It took me a while to figure out how to make the PCB software generate gerbers and drill files to do this job since it is not really what the software is intended to do. I can get the diaphragm supports (spacers) in 0.6mm. The stator can be 1.6mm, this is cheapest. The stator can be covered with solder resist, except where there are pads. The mounting pad holes are M2, intended to accommodate Nylon bolts,...
Forget stylish. Budget-high-performance is a fashion statement anyway. Buy a pair of Koss Portapros.   w
This is going to be pretty much a matter of personal preference. If you look on ebay you will find a range of plastic and even natural sponges. Probably of more consequence is the covering material and whether it effects a seal, if that is the manufacturer's intent.   If you're worried about changing the sound, change one and compare it with the unchanged one.   There are also aftermarket pads for most phones, although you don't say what you've got.   w
Rewired, I think, is the key. Chances are there's a dry joint in there somewhere. The kind of radiated energy you're talking about needs a high impedance environment or rectification (or amplification) to become audible. This is only likely to occur in the circumstances you describe because you have introduced a 'pseudo' component, such as a cracked or incompletely wetted joint which is acting as a high resistance or perhaps a diode. Although I say "likely to occur", this...
What a great finding. This shows that it is possible to DIY systems with superb quality without enormous cost, although it is obvious that Wachara could have bought many off-the-shelf systems for his investment in money and time. A standard electrostatic capsule would be seized on by many people, I think. The idea of organising production of one is so compelling that I will be forced to investigate it if nobody else appears to be doing so. Fred
Good, you have blind test results to support this?w