or Connect

Posts by Arnotts

I use a Wyrd... but not with the X12. I've never tried it with the X12, and in all honesty I'm happy with the U12 > X12. I like the Wyrd with the M-DAC. I run the X12 with the U12 via I2S. The USB input is a little bit harsh in the upper frequencies. I never really noticed until I compared it to the I2S input from the U12 and hooked up a pair of HD650's. With Audeze headphones, the harshness isn't as apparent. Sorry I can't tell you how well the Wyrd helps the X12 with its...
The H10 + HD650 pairing sounds good in the grand scheme of things, but you can do better for the Senn's. I personally prefer the Vali with the HD650's.   I'm not a big fan of the H10 + HD800 pairing. It's serviceable, but it does not play to the HD800's strengths. Imo it just makes the HD800's sound more like it's trying to be a pair of Audeze headphones.    I absolutely love how the H10 pairs with the DT880's, DT250's and planar magnetic headphones in general, though...
I actually did the reverse with my Subpac - I went from setting the intensity knob too high, to REALLY dialing it back over time. Initially I wanted to really feel the impact and get that bass-massage from all my electronic music. Now I want neutral, perfectly extended and synced bass. On non-bassy songs I can just barely feel the Subpac doing anything (which is how it should be). On bassy songs, you can hear/feel with perfect clarity how well the bass was...
This post is two years old... but wow does it still hold true. I just plugged my LCD-X's into my Vali... Incredible   Just as Barry said, it's very musical and enjoyable. Not the most technically excellent pairing for separation and soundstage, but it's not bad by ANY means in these areas. For the price this thing is ridiculous. Equal or better in a lot of aspects to my Gustard H10 (which in itself is excellent value).
To give people an idea of the calibre of the DT250's, I use them as my closed headphones alongside the LCD-X's and HD800's.
There is perfect sync and integration (as long as you've got it set up correctly).
I've been using the HD800's balanced from the M-DAC today. This is the best I've ever heard the HD800's - the improvement over the single-ended headphone output was bigger than I ever expected. The HD800's sound so much less sterile/clinical and so much more musical, but the technical abilities of the headphones have only improved.   I own the following amps: Schiit Vali Matrix M-Stage (Lehmann Black Cube Linear clone) M-DAC single-ended headphone amp (VERY similar to...
Congratulations, Matt . Best wishes to you in the future!   I received my balanced 4 pin female XLR to dual 3 pin female XLR adapter earlier in the week. Matt actually covered express postage himself, so this one arrived very quickly.   I'm currently using the balanced outputs of the M-DAC with my HD800's, and I am amazed at the improvement over the single-ended headphone output. There was an improvement in going balanced from the M-DAC with my LCD-X's, as well, but...
In my experience the characteristics of the H10 synergize the best with headphones that are characteristically brighter/airier/thinner. This is because the H10 leans a little towards the warmer, smoother, thicker side of things. The H10 also has a more intimate sized soundstage. These traits work really nicely with headphones like the DT880's and Hifimans (although I've only ever tried the HE-400's with the H10 for about 10 minutes, there's a huge amount of praise for the...
I've used the Subpac with both of my rigs. Here are the two ways I've set it up.   With the Gustard X12 + H10, I hook up the H10 to the X12 via  the balanced XLR outputs on the X12. I then hook up the Subpac to the unbalanced RCA outputs on the X12. The X12 outputs sound via the XLR and RCA outputs simultaneously, meaning I connect my headphones to the H10 and the DAC outputs to the Subpac in perfect sync. You can turn the volume down on the X12 itself to help fine tune...