Posts by Arnotts

Everything in your signal chain influences how you hear the final sound output. I think the DAC would almost certainly affect those characteristics. I like reading Purrin's input on stuff, but I would advise you to not get caught up in the hive-mind. The differences between DACs are subtle - the impressions that you read need to exaggerate the differences to make the distinctions clear. Many, many people can't even tell the difference between DACs because it involves the...
@Liu Junyuan Which mods have you done to your HD800's - Anax 2.0?   Also, how does your tube amp compare to the H10 for the HD800's - do you switch between them or do you have a clear preference?   My HD800's are stock and I find that the H10 pairing moves their sound in the direction of the Audeze house sound, but without many of the strengths of the planars. Still very serviceable, but not ideal for the picky HD800's.   EDIT: Great pictures, Swannie. I've been a...
I'll actually be getting a Valhalla 2 soon. I'll see how it compares to the H10 and the M-DAC for some of my headphones.   I personally think the H10 pairs decently with the HD800's. The typical H10 sound signature is added to the headphones - a little more warmth, a well separated but slightly slower sound, a coherent but more immediate soundstage.   It's definitely a good sound in the grand scheme of things, but when you spend the kind of money on audio that we do,...
Thanks to everyone that offered advice on whether I should stick with the HD800's or not.   I've decided to pick up a Valhalla 2 as well as a balanced cable to drive them balanced from the M-DAC (to use when I feel like using my reference system).   Gustard X12 + Valhalla 2 ---> HD800's   VS   Audiolab M-DAC ---> balanced outputs ---> LCD-X's   Should be interesting to see which setup I prefer. The M-DAC and LCD-X combo is absolutely amazing.   I might also...
Okay so I have auditioned the T90's twice now, and I have ordered my own pair which is still being shipped out. For the price, the T90's offer EXCELLENT value - they offer performance that is right up there with the flagship headphones and are pretty fun and engaging to listen to (they don't feel so clinical/analytical/sterile).   But there's an issue... you need to match the T90 with a clean, non-bright/non-harsh DAC and amp. Match it poorly and you're probably going to...
I'm considering selling the HD800's. They have their uses - a tool to analyse the mix and occasionally a headphone for enjoying an incredibly airy, separated presentation of music. The novelty of the HD800's presentation wears off half way through most songs. They don't seem to get enough head time for me to justify keeping them.   LCD-X's are still very good for analysing music and are significantly better for lasting musical enjoyment. I would say almost all of my...
Thanks for the info, gentlemen.   I'm currently listening to my brand new pair of DT250's (250 ohm).   You all made a good choice when you acquired these headphones :)   Wonderfully neutral and accurate while still being smooth and pleasurable. Good isolation. Nice fit (without glasses). No real flaws at all.   EDIT: I should also add that I've become quite disenchanted with Head-Fi. Far, far too much good equipment gets pushed under the rug in favour of the next...
Ha, that massive, airy chamber of music is the main reason I keep the HD800's
 You are experienced enough to know about how important synergy among your components is, so I won't go any further on that. But in some ways it makes sense that the LCD-X's are at their best from neutral and/or solid state equipment. They're very highly regarded by studio engineers, and they're also marketed for their use in studio applications as per Audeze's website: "It's also the most neutral of all the LCD Collection, explaining its popularity with audiophiles,...
I once owned the DT250's (250 ohm version). I loved having these headphones as my closed pair. Such an excellent combination of qualities.   I had two issues, though, which lead me to return them. One was a fault with my particular pair of headphones - the left driver would intermittently stop and start. Sometimes it would work, then sometimes it would stop. Even for a couple of days at a time...   The other issue was that the small size of the ear pads made them feel...