Posts by bigshot

What I did was to run a CD player and an iPod using line out through two preamps to level match the different sources. Then I patched the output of the preamps into my receiver so I could switch back and forth. I ripped a CD at lossless, and a range of AAC and MP3 settings and compared the rips directly to the original CD.
 That is exactly the reason why my media server in my listening room is packed with AAC 256 VBR files and all of the original CDs are in boxes in the garage.  It actually has nothing at all to do with the sound quality of the recording itself. When I was testing lossy vs lossless, I started with very well recorded classical and jazz pieces and AAC worked like gangbusters all the way down to 192. But when I started to test older recordings from the pre-hifi era, the bitrate...
 I'd be happy to clarify that for you... I'm applying the specs of the human ear to the specs of the headphones here. For human ears, +/-3dB is the just noticeable difference (JND) threshold for response imbalances in music. (For tones, it's somewhere between +/-.5dB and 1dB) If headphones have bumps and dips that don't exceed 3dB, they are doing damn fine in my book, because they sound flat to human ears, even if they aren't totally flat on paper. The most important...
It's smooth though so you you would never be able to perceive that gradual a shift. And 10kHz it all the way up to the last octave.
 You really believe that?
When I need a cable, I order from Monoprice or go to Radio Shack and buy their plain vanilla cables. How tough is that to figure out. Why does this need a thread?
 That's a bingo. You have to discern a significant difference before you can determine if a difference exists. If it isn't discernible it doesn't matter.
 Oppo was kind enough to send me some kick ass headphones to audition. I felt that I had a responsibility to give them the straight dope as well as I could determine it. No fluffy guesses. Crossing ts and dotting is.
 The good thing about it is that the human ear is MUCH more forgiving than specs. If you assemble the specs for human hearing and apply them to audio equipment, almost all of the solid state equipment (not transducers) are audibly transparent. That means all of them are the same. Don't worry about it.
The threshold of perception for response deviations in music is about 3dB. If it is a gradual shift without spikes or dips, it's even higher. That response curve is how flat sounds... no warm, no detailed, no in your face... smack dab down the middle.