Posts by bigshot

Frequency response spikes that are too narrow to register as sound can occur in speaker systems too! Ultra sonic frequencies as well. In fact, high volume ultrasonics have been used for crowd control to induce headaches in rioters. Glad I could be of help!
 Happy to help! SPECIFICATIONS OF THE HUMAN EARThresholds of Perception FREQUENCY RESPONSE20 Hz to 20 kHz (optimal hearing)20 Hz to 15 kHz (over 50)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range DYNAMIC RANGEPeak volume 130 dB (threshold of pain)http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/earsens.htmlNoise floor 30 dB for (quiet listening room)http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html GROUP DELAY (PHASE SHIFT)Threshold of Audibility 1 to 3 ms (500Hz to...
 Good news! The thresholds of human perception have been studied for a much longer time and more thoroughly than measurements of DAC and amp specs! Frequency response, phase shift, noise floors, distortion... on all of these there are VERY clearly defined thresholds. In fact, whenever there is a new aspect of recorded sound, like for instance jitter, the FIRST thing that scientists do is conduct controlled testing to determine the JDT (just detectable threshold). In the...
 Good news! Listener fatigue has actually been solved! Isolating subjective issues, listener fatigue is a combination of two things... comfort and fit of headphones over extended periods of time, and frequency response imbalances- particularly narrow high frequency spikes that are not wide enough to be perceived as part of the overall tone. Glad I could clear that up for you!
I hear that the $17,000 iWatch performs to higher standards than the regular iWatch. The chips inside that run the watch are manufactured with the finest grade of unobtanium so it keeps time to within a gazillionth of a second better, and the screen is able to render the blackest blacks as a little bit more black than the regular iWatch!!
For Stokowski fans (like me)... The 41 disk Decca Phase 4 Stereo box set is down close to $67 shipped to the US from Amazon.co.uk. A quarter of this set is Stokowski. It's not for purists... these were audiophile recordings designed to showcase the colorful stereo effects possible with multi-channel miking and mixing. They don't sound like a real orchestra in a real hall, but they sound very impressive nonetheless. My parents had several of these albums... New World...
bread and butter... jinx! you owe me a coke!
Why do manufacturers not just rely on objective measurements to market their products? If they are producing a product that is audibly perfect, wouldn't it be a good idea to let customers know that?   No. Because making audibly perfect electronics isn't difficult at all. The second you post your specs showing that your amp or DAC exceeds all of the aspects of human hearing, some guy is going to come along with their own DAC or amp and show that their specs are a little...
 Most of the fundamentals of sound reproduction had been researched and were well understood by the early 1920s. The limitation was the electronics of the day. With the introduction of transistors, then digital processing, the electronics had caught up with the fundamentals. Whenever someone starts saying, "We don't know everything there is to know, so we can't know for sure." it's pretty obvious that they are just blowing smoke. If you don't know, there is a golden...
 Uh... to back up your claim that the difference is easy to hear? I think it's pretty obvious that you KNOW that lossy can sound exactly like lossless and high bitrates don't matter. You just don't want to admit that you are wrong. If you truly believed what you say, you would think it would be very easy to prove your point and you would leap at the chance to prove all of us wrong.