Posts by bigshot

Do you have a citation for that percentage? What is improved 5-7%? The response curve? THD? Noise Floor?
 There is nothing in music that even remotely resembles a square wave. That is a theoretical sound that only exists in machines. I'm sure someone could hobble a computer and make it produce only square waves, but it wouldn't sound anything like the real world. Nyquist is perfectly able to cover all of the audible sound in recorded music... everything from a symphony orchestra to a snare drum. And if a snare drum hit is 1/5th of a second. You can bet the attack on it isn't...
My purpose is to share the techniques I've learned to give other people a leg up on getting good sound, and to learn from others so I can figure out techniques to make my own system sound better.
 As long as a transient isn't any faster than one wave of the highest frequency Redbook reproduces, it is represented. That means the transient has to be faster than 1/20,000th of a second. How small is that? Well here is a photo that captures 1/20,000th of a second of a drop of milk.  There's nothing with that fast of a transient in music. Transients in music are thousands of times slower than that. A quick snare drum hit takes up about 1/5th of a second. That is 4000...
 Bye Bye! Nice visiting with ya!
If you've got spit, a pocket knife and a roll of electrical tape, you have everything you need.
I wanted to get a second cable for my Oppo PM-1s. $300? Yeah right! I'm going to cut the little dinky iPod cable that comes with it and extend it to six feet. That's absurd.
The dispersal pattern also depends on the shape of the room. Acoustically, the worst shape for a room is a perfect cube. The second worst is a room that is wider than it is long. In a situation like that, with the mains spread too far apart, the center would certainly drop out. In that kind of room, it's better to keep the front three speakers closer together... like 4 feet between each of the mains and the center.   I learned a lot of the basics of arranging a room by...
 I had that problem in my theater at first. But then I realized that my mains were MUCH more efficient and powerful than the wimpy center channel speaker I was using. I went out and got a center channel that was capable of getting good and loud and rebalanced the levels so the center was much louder and the mains much quieter. When I set the volume at a normal setting now, the dialogue is intelligible, and the loud effects aren't so loud they peel the plaster off the walls.
SpiT improves PraT!