Posts by bigshot

It's been a while, but I just got a new region free Oppo BDP-103 that plays every format known to man, and I am back into multichannel mode and I am looking at SACD and DVD-A now.       http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Yellow-Anniversary-Deluxe-Edition/dp/B0000E64TR/   Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD   Multichannel mixes fall into three categories: Ping Pong Showoff Your System Style, Realistic Soundstage with Very Little Rear Style and Tasteful Use of...
The speed of a waveform for the lowest frequency a human can hear is a 20th of a second, and as it occurs in musical instruments, that is a deep rumbly thump with no attack to speak of anyway. Even a 20th of a second is still a tiny fraction of what we would perceive as "delayed sound". Film runs at 24 frames per second, and I doubt you would notice if the sound was out of sync by one frame.   Calling this speed is completely wrong. They are referring to frequency...
What bitrate the threshold of imperceptibility for the various codecs? That is what I would be interested in. I really don't care which codecs and bit rates are sort of imperceptible. If I am going to encode in lossy, I want to know the line at which it becomes audibly  identical to lossless for all music.
I think "fast" and "slow" is about as useful a term as "veiled", "revealing", or "prat". It's all a bunch of hooey. Frequency response, distortion, dynamics... these are terms that actually mean something.
I hate to let you down like this, but I seriously doubt if anyone in Sound Science really cares about Chord Hugo.
More info isn't always better. Sometimes just stating it clearly in unequivocal terms helps people understand better.
 AUDIBLY flat... not measured flat. What matters is what ears hear, not what microphones hear. A headphone that is audibly flat won't have a response graph that is flat for a million reasons they argue over incessantly in the HeadFi headphone forums.
It is intended to emphasize detail by bumping up the upper frequencies. It's a trick that sounds really good for ten minutes until the listening fatigue sets in.   A flat response is the correct response curve, but that isn't as easy to do as it sounds. Expensive headphones can do a nice flat response without resorting to tricks.
The best thing is that all those extra bits and bites don't add jack diddley to the sound quality.
I haven't found a DAC chip at any price point that doesn't sound great. I have a $40 Walmart Coby CD player that sounds the same as my Oppo. In order for a DAC to NOT sound good, you need to really mess up the implementation of it.