Posts by bigshot

Elegance is vague. Clear silhouettes and a composition that flows and is balanced is pretty clear. There is specific terminology in art too. Lots of very specific aesthetic theories, (like warms against cools, contrasts in scale of textures, etc) too
Van Cliburn is my favorite for that
 Should be the same unless it is the result of something heating up and acting differently hot than cold. What kind of amount of distortion are you finding? Are you doing any processing of the files?
Wouldn't any defined criteria be basically objective? It might not be cut and dried, but objectivity is about the process, not the result. I work with great artists daily, and I can tell you that some of them can analyze art in ways that a scientist could learn from.
Harmonic distortion follows the dynamics of the music by definition, doesn't it? If it is constant through silent parts it would be considered noise. Citing the Ethan Winer noise test I linked to above... If constant noise becomes extremely difficult to hear below -40dB except in complete silence, I would expect that harmonic distortion following the dynamics of the music would be even more difficult to hear, no matter what kind of sound the distortion is.   I think the...
 .02% is below -70dB. I seriously doubt that any human being would ever be able to discern that under music. Ethan Winer in his Audio Myths seminar takes the absolute worst kind of noise and takes it down under music a little bit at a time. At the point the noise reaches -40dB or so... which is 1%... it starts to become impossible to hear. If you are interested in finding out how the numbers being quoted actually relate to what your ears can hear, I recommend his two...
I would suggest seeing Wozzeck, not just hearing it. In the context of the story being told, the atonal music works. As disembodied abstract music, it can get a bit grating on the nerves.
The way to analyze headphones is to first, understand the basic criteria for judging sound (frequency response, distortion, dynamics, time error, etc.). Then find out how those elements affect sound and what the thresholds of audibility for each one are. When you know those two things, you can compare one set of headphones to another in very specific ways. You can also look at the graphs that get posted and know what that will end up sounding like.   A lot of people...
 Actually, artists have fundamental principles that they can judge the quality of art on... the flow of a composition, balance, line of action, silhouettes, negative space, color theory, etc. Analysis and functionality are as important in art as in any other field. Anything can be judged by objective criteria. The differences in opinions come in when someone values one particular criteria more than another person does. In that case, neither are wrong, they just have...
Fantasia was recorded with each section of the orchestra baffled off from the others like in a honeycomb. That was done specifically for Fantasound, which was a six track system with a live person doing the mixing at each performance.   Stokowki often experimented with seating positions at recording sessions, so the spread of the orchestra will sound different on those recordings from traditional seating arrangements.