Posts by bigshot

It's funny, because people keep saying, "Listen to it and make up your mind" but when you say, "I've already listened to AAC 256 which is audibly perfect,  smaller, more efficient to stream and open source"; then they turn around and start pointing at the numbers to convince you that you are missing something. If I can't hear it, I don't care. I don't need inaudible frequencies.
I've done direct A/B comparisons between 24/96 and 16/44.1 and AAC 256. They all sounded exactly the same. Audibly transparent is audibly transparent. Once a file format is capable of exactly reproducing a sound signal accurately enough that human ears can't hear any difference, then it can't be any better. It can only be just as good.   MQA doesn't claim to *improve* sound. It claims that it can stream sound that has bigger file sizes due to higher bitrates. If higher...
I heard from someone who looked up MQA's patent. Apparently most of it has to do with authorization keys and DRM. Not surprising, I guess. No one would buy into it for sound quality. That's already been done.
Rostrapovich / Karajan for the cello concerto. Perrahia or Anda for the Mozart PCs.
Similar things are being done in multichannel sound. There is a film called Leviathan from 2012 that was directed by two Harvard "sensory ethnologists". It's ostensibly a documentary about the North American fishing industry, but it really isn't about that at all. The film is completely immersive and indescribable. It's like no other movie ever made. But if you see it on a big screen with a good surround sound system, you feel like you're being shot into outer space.
I worked for the sound mixer who recorded the first television program recorded digitally... Barry Manilow's Copacabana special. My boss retired his Nagra and recorded on those old two part Sony Beta PCM machines. He had his shipped from Japan. He was one of the first professionals working in digital.
I have a funny story that might be pertinent...   I was in the market for speakers and I went to a stereo store that had a great selection in their audition room. The salesman was very nice and attentive. He operated the switcher for me, so I pointed at the speakers I wanted to hear and he directed the switcher to them. I noticed that whenever he switched to a particularly expensive brand, the sound would get fuller... not right away, but after a second or two. I thought...
Well, it sure was true of the Penguin Guide and Gramophone!
I think that digital signal processing is going to become much more common in the future. It's an interesting field.
I've found that ground loop problems and RF interference are things you either have or you don't. If you have it, you just track down the bugaboo and get rid of it. I haven't had a problem with that in decades though. I think the standards for electricians have gone up. Stuff like that only shows up in old houses.