Posts by bigshot

Only if they are level matched to the same height.
It's more a matter of room acoustics. When you mike a performer, you have complete control over the sound of the room. You can mike close and get no room bounce back. Or you can mike far and get lots. Or you can mike for no room acoustic and create a custom room ambience in the mix. With binaural you're stuck with what you've got. If the room doesn't sound that good, like the group playing at the top of the page, you can't do anything about it. And if there is no room...
 Today is your lucky day, because I can think of many examples of that... high end cables vs monoprice, high end DACs and CD players vs a $120 Sony blu-ray player, any high end digital audio player vs an iPod, high end amps vs midrange ones with the same power rating, etc. I hope this info opens your mind up to new possibilities and makes your day a great one! Put that overpriced amp on ebay and get a midrange receiver like the ones by Yamaha or Dennon. You'll get more...
 Are you saying that if someone was in the market for headphones, you wouldn't recommend HeadFi as a source for information to make a good buying decision?
The problem is that when you make a binaural recording, you are unable to take advantage of a whole range of useful recording and miking techniques. Even though binaural recording adds its own sense or realism, it lacks the kind of realism that a well miked and mixed traditional recording has. One of the things that laymen don't generally understand is that making natural sounding recordings isn't easy. In order to make a really natural sounding recording, you have to...
 If headphones had more than two channels coming from multiple directions, they would definitely sound more natural than binaural. The main problem is directionality. Binaural still creates a line through the middle of your head. Things can seem to come a little bit ahead or behind, but all within a close space with that line between your ears. A lot of good classical and opera is recorded with miking that isn't far off from being binaural. They don't use the dummy head,...
 Try applying that theory to Yoko Ono!
 Maybe it's because of the amount of time the processor used to convert the sound to lossless. More processor time = smaller file size. The sound is exactly the same. You can't judge sound quality by file size. It isn't that simple.
The player is what it is. The difference between different headphones is probably more than the difference caused by impedance. I don't know how you are going to compare the effect of using two headphones with different impedances and not have them be significantly different responses too. The headphones are what is different in the equation, not the amp.
I'll take the digital escalator... "Fourth floor! Ladies' lingerie!"