Posts by bigshot

I don't
How many people put faith in GM for the Corvair before Ralph Nader put out Unsafe At Any Speed? Brand is no guarantee of quality. Someone who doesn't understand what they are buying and puts faith in brand names are lazy.
The room is going to have MUCH more of an effect on phase of speakers than the speakers.
I recommend Alan Lowe's book, "That Devilin' Tune". It's the only book on jazz that I have found that doesn't build walls around what jazz is and isn't, and doesn't stick to the party line about where jazz came from. Unfortunately, it is out of print, but you can still get the four 9 CD supplements to the book, and there is a great PDF excerpt here... http://www.allenlowe.com/books/that-devilin-tune/
I usually don't compare headphones much. I find the ones I want, buy them and then just listen to music. I have Oppo PM-1s, and a friend bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-598s and let me compare them. I listened to them for about 20 minutes and played with my equalizer, and came to the conclusion that with a little bit of EQing, I could be just as happy with them as I am with my PM-1s. If you have a good equalizer, you don't need a flagship. Just a cruiser will do.
When you make suggestions of names to add, it would help if you group them under the categories, so I can just cut and paste them in. Thanks!  Most discussions about Jazz on HeadFi center on the stereo era, which was very late in the game for Jazz. My interest in Jazz covers the entire history, not just the last couple of stages. Also, I take an interdisciplinary approach to it, including dance bands, jump blues, pop vocals and western swing. I'm not into building walls...
Thus spake StanD... who was previously StanA, StanB and StanC in previous lives!
Done... we can move Jazz over here now... http://www.head-fi.org/t/760442/breadcrumbs-for-jazz
Hansel and Gretel laid down breadcrumbs to find their way through the forest. Streaming services require you to enter some names of artists for them to follow with suggestions. I'm going to assemble in this thread a list of musicians in a few major genres of Jazz. Some of these genres may not be familiar to you if you only know modern jazz. But I hope you will explore and add them to your streaming cue and see what you like. Feel free to discuss and suggest additions. I'll...
 The problem with music threads at HeadFi is that most people are only interested in modern recordings. Jazz was at its peak in the pre-hifi mono era. Whenever a jazz thread starts here, it never seems to go back any further than Miles Kind of Blue. I'm up for participating in a separate jazz thread but my interests cover the entire history of jazz, not just the tail end of the animal.