Posts by bigshot

I'm beginning to doubt that this claim has been even carefully observed, much less carefully tested.
You have to apply the inverse Fletcher Munson, because if you do a balanced tone sweep by ear to completely even all the way across, your ears will have automatically corrected for Fletcher Munson. If you subtract the Fletcher Munson by adding volume in the places that are affected by FM you are back to true audibly flat.
Please provide a measurement citation for typical phase error in headphones, and a citation for the threshold of human perception for phase error. I don't think those two numbers will even be in the same universe.
How would you possibly get bad phase coherence with headphone? The only way I can think of would be to have one cable normal length and another two blocks long.
A regular iPod can play WAV, AIFF and ALAC. It should be easy to ID the WAV if he put three files on random shuffle and let someone else ID the tracks after he called them out.
He serves a different audience, I'm afraid
Do you have an iPod or iPhone? Can you detect the difference there?
 No. All it means that your equipment isn't good at playing AIFF and ALAC. Bit perfect is bit perfect. The error is entering in your  *playback* not the file format itself. What kind of equipment are you playing these files back on? I would immediately suspect that the sound card is the culprit.
 If he is claiming the problem he hears is with the lossless codec itself, then making everything a WAV file and asking him to tell the difference would be a fine test. If he is claiming his playback equipment plays back lossless files with different sound, then he should get better equipment.
The simplest way is to simply take the various file types and put them all into a WAV file. Then blind compare them. The problem that I've found with this is that if the cat's away, the mice will play. I did a test like this with lossy and a "golden ear" deliberately cheated by opening up the files and comparing the waveforms. The only way to be absolutely sure with that test is to do the test in person double blind.