Posts by bigshot

I'll join you... cheers!
There is a reason behind the compression that is different than with images. Today, most people listen to music in random shuffle. A song by one band is followed by a song by a completely different band. No one wants their song to sound quieter. Louder songs sound better than quieter ones. So someone somewhere applied compression to get a little bit of an edge and make their song sound louder. Then everyone else had to apply a little more compression... and more... and...
All of the early recordings. Tchaikovsky Souvenir of Florence, the chamber recordings with Primrose, Prokofiev concerto Munch, Bruch Sargent, Spohr Soloman, Everything is worth hearing
 Yes. Sampling rate is frequency response. Bit depth is noise floor. If you know how digital audio works, you know what to expect. Inaudible is inaudible. If someone comes up with a way to hear the unbearable, you give them the benefit of the doubt and figure that they are doing something wrong without realizing it. The truth is that none of it makes a lick of difference. If you have to sweat and strain and fudge your numbers to be able to hear something, it just doesn't...
It doesn't matter whether it's redbook. I'd love to see someone discern AAC 256 VBR in a test with "HD" audio!
The Heifetz complete box set is jam packed with treasures.
I think either your equipment is introducing noise somewhere that wouldn't be there if the conversion and playback were being handled properly, or you are genuinely trying to fairly administer the test to yourself, but are unable to.
Only if you can hear frequencies humans can't hear. It's pretty safe to say that if you hear a difference between redbook and high bit/sampling rate, it's the difference in the way your equipment is playing the file that makes the difference, not the sound in the recording.
The difference between 16 bit and 24 bit, all things being equal, is the depth of the noise floor. There is no difference in resolution up in the audible range. If you are hearing differences in tone on a clarinet note, it's probably just unconscious expectation bias at work. I'm sure if you did enough tests, it would come out as random chance.
Heifetz isn't too fast. Everyone else is too slow because they aren't Heifetz.