Posts by bigshot

People can claim what they want to claim, but if you check the actual output of the youtube video, you'll find the AAC audio track starts rolling down at 12 and is pretty much gone by 17. That's just how AAC works at lower bit rates. Bump it up to 320 and you might get up to 19 or 20kHz.   This video sweeps faster above 10kHz and stops very soon after that. I can hear a little ways beyond 10, but it's hard to stop it in time when it goes that fast.
It's walking on a tightrope. You can't do that and even hope to pull it off unless you are at the absolute top of your game. I've known a few artists who could "plane" like this... just focus and create and not follow any pre-established pattern. They're the most exciting and interesting artists I know. Stokowski was like that on the podium. But with a solo instrumentalist who has complete control over what they are doing, it's golden.
I just got the Horowitz Album Jacket and Carnegie Hall boxes, and I'm making my way through them. These are just as revelatory as the Rubinstein box set. Moreso in fact. Rubinstein had a stylistic shift over time that changed his music overall. As he went on, he became less impulsive and more magisterial. Horowitz wasn't at all like that. He could play the same piece on two successive days and it would be completely different. Every time he sat down to play, he was...
It's interesting I have a narrow spike between 7 and 8kHz where the frequencies pan left then right then center again. Youtube probably isn't the best place to put a test for high frequencies because I believe they use AAC192 which starts rolling off around 12kHz.
The knobs on the back are volume pots for the midrange and tweeter. They get you in the ballpark for EQing.
He won't be coming back.
There are thresholds for everything... there is a frame rate for films that exceeds the "flicker threshold". There's resolution for video that exceeds the ability to see from a normal viewing distance. There's a resolution threshold for images that we can't see beyond without using magnifying glasses. And there is a threshold for recorded music. Redbook exceeds it by a little bit. Everything beyond that is overkill.
 You might want to read up a bit on how digital audio works. There is absolutely no difference between 16 bit audio and 24 bit audio in the audible spectrum. They are identical. No more resolution than in one than the other. No more "gradations". The only difference between redbook and high bitrate / high sampling rate is OUTSIDE the range of human hearing... specifically, sound that is too quiet for you to hear at normal listening volumes and frequencies that are too high...
Those three lenses should serve you well. You might want to consider the Tokina 11-16 2.8 though. It's a wonderful lens. There are a lot of good ultrawides for DX.
The level of the tweeter is adjustable on the back of the monitor. Might be that.