Posts by bigshot

Your syntax is going into weird directions here. I read this three times and I can't make head nor tail of it. If you want me to reply would you state things clearly, not try to complicate your sentences? I tried to present my points to you clearly and simply so you could understand. I need the same. Also, if you want to learn things from other people, it's important not to see discussions as a pissing match. Better to look at it as an opportunity to learn. I do that...
I tried cactus needles on my Victrola. They left a bunch or organic schmutz in the grooves. I had to reclean all the 78s I played with them. Messy. messy. messy. I'll stick with medium tone steel needles.
 No. Not unless your ears are imbalanced.
Huh?!
 Two completely separate things. Which one would you like to discuss? I'm happy to discuss either, but I won't slide back and forth from one to the other. That is just obfuscation.
 Your mistake is that you are attributing your own perceptual error to error in your equipment. The problem is, you can't upgrade your ears. You need to understand what they hear if you want to feed them what they hear best.
 Why? Can you explain other than to say you subjectively hear it? I provided a detailed explanation of how auditory masking affects the attack on bass notes two times very patiently and you still say you don't understand it. Go google auditory masking and figure out what I am talking about. It's the same with soundstage. You are repeating what you heard in forums where people don't really know what they're talking about but want to sound like they do. When I was faced with...
 To answer your first question... What you are hearing and calling "decay" isn't decay at all. It's frequency response imbalance. By far, the single most common problem among transducers is frequency response, followed by distortion. Dynamics are related to how much volume a transducer can take without seizing up and clipping. But if you take a pair of headphones that are able to reproduce a full spectrum of sound at loud volumes without clipping, you can EQ them to sound...
fresh from a tooth cleaning!
 No, you're thinking about it backwards. Auditory masking doesn't exist in headphones. It exists in the human ear. The headphones are just presenting sound the way they always do. The frequency response imbalances are altering our ability to hear it. If I say hello to you normally, and then say hello again as a air horn on a truck blows, the reason you can't hear it isn't because I'm not speaking. It's because the air horn is masking your ability to hear me. Again, sloppy...