Posts by bigshot

Streaming used to sound crappy. But Amazon Prime's sound is great. That is the one I use.
Those woodwinds! WOW!
 DECENT headphones were what I was talking about, not junky ones. If a set of headphones can reproduce a wide enough response range, and can reproduce every frequency in that range at a hefty volume without distorting, it doesn't matter if the response curve is unbalanced. You can correct it using EQ. And the response curve has a LOT more to do with how a set of headphones sound than the transient response. Sure, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear... or HD-800s...
If I squint at the sun long enough, I can see the plumes of magma shooting out of it and I can count the sunspots... until I go blind!
The Czech Phil may be my favorite orchestras. They had a run of great conductors and their recordings sound totally unique.
I did a little googling and I may be conflating two separate shills. But the main event involved a company called Virtual Dynamics. They had a rep handing out free cables at HeadFi through PMs and posting glowing posts about their products without identifying himself as a member of the trade as I remember. I think the guy who imploded was a junior rep who worked for the company that went by the name of Grizzlepaw. His freak out and all the reactions to it have been...
 Can't remember the name of the company. It's probably in the thread that was locked back around that time. It was a sales rep that was assigned to HeadFi to talk up their products. I don't think he had MotT status, but people did some asking around and found out that he had been giving out free samples to posters. They were advertising at the time. He freaked out one night and started insulting everyone in the thread. The next day he and the ads were gone. A few weeks...
 EQ can make midrange cans sound like much better models. That is for sure. With EQ you can make any decent headphone sound pretty much like any other decent headphone.
 No, DBT is only allowed in Sound Science. Try suggesting controlled listening test results in any of the other forums and see how long it takes you to get zapped by the admins! Also, one of the precipitating events that resulted in the creation of the Sound Science group was the meltdown a cable manufacturer/member of the trade/advertiser had in the cables forum when he wasn't able to explain the pseudo-scientific sales pitch he published on his website. He got VERY...
Another thing I've noticed is that the "expert" audiophiles in the other forums have a LOT of their own ego invested into their opinions. They aren't interested in arguing facts on point and they don't like being contradicted. If you question them on an opinion and provide information to make your point, they inevitably resort to ad hominem attacks. I usually take that as a tacit admission that they are unable to support their argument and have a sense of humor about it....