Posts by MalVeauX

NO. Very best,
Heya,   I would nab a Fiio E10. Forget sound cards. Keep it completely mobile and useful that way if you want. Great little device.   For a headphone, look into:   AudioTechnica AD900X Sony MA900 Beyer DT880 32ohm or PRO 250ohm (assuming you get something like the E10 or a sound card, it's easy to drive regardless of it's impedance rating) Hifiman HE-300's (used can fetch an incredible price, look for latest revision only, not first revision) AKG K240...
Heya,   HD558 for value. Read up on mods, as this is a popular headphone with a lot of potential.   Alternatively, there are a lot of other headphones that are as good, and some better, than Sennheiser. Do you really have to get only one of these three?   Frankly if you're in this budget range, I would argue for a used mid-tier headphone. You get way more headphone for your dollar that way. A used Sony MA900 or AudioTechnica AD900X comes to mind.   Very best,
Hrm,   Tempting.   Great price on a very, very good unit. I would argue probably one of the best sources for the dollar, universally, as it covers everything from ortho to balanced and back to the simplest of things.   Good luck on sale. Shameless plug as this is a serous buy for someone. If I was not already very content, I would be buying this from you.   Very best,
 Heya, You can get away with running the HE400 without the resistor. However, it's a very efficient headphone. You get minimal volume control before it gets loud fast. So I suggest using a resistor, if you're using a 50 wpc amplifier. If you were using a 10~20 wpc amplifier you probably wouldn't need the resistor as this is more along the lines of output that a high powered headamp would perform. But the big difference is gain. Speaker amps have gain values because they're...
 I'm still kicking the Hifiman's, TubeMagic D2, and Emotiva. I've had no reason to even think of the dreaded "upgrade" since I downgraded to this setup (heh, well, cost wise at least). The setup covers every headphone under the sun except electrostats. If the HE-6 plops onto my doorstep, I'm good to go day one. I can use really low impedance headphones without issue with my 500ohm adapter, like my Denon D5000's (25ohm), with no noise floor on the Emotiva. It's just a solid...
 Heya, For you, the HE400 probably is the way to go. The HE500 is a different headphone. Just because it costs more doesn't mean it does what you want. You're wanting a headphone for hip hop and stuff. I wouldn't get the HE500 for that. The HE500 is neutral and has a very natural sound, it plays what was recorded, not much emphasis on anything as it attempts to be balanced, neutral, flat. I love the HE500, but it's not my go-to headphone for bassy music. My Denon D5000 is....
 Heya, Absolutely. I have the LDMK3 and these headphones, and I absolutely plug my 500ohm resistor up when using it with my low impedance headphones (like my Denons for example). The LDMK3 outputs only like 100mW to low impedance loads (32ohm and under), but more than triples for it's intended range, which is 300~600ohm loads. It outputs 350mW at 300/600ohms each. It's literally made for high impedance. This is normal for an OTL amp that is all tube, and not using solid...
 The immediate and obvious lack of sub-bass, coming from his D2000, especially out in the environment with noise filtering in, will not provide the oumph downstairs that the OP specifically stated he would like them to handle. Plus, comfort. Lack thereof. I love and hate Grados. :( Very best,
 Heya, They are both excellent. The MA900 is hardly bass light. Maybe bass light to some kid who just got some beats with his college financial aid and wants nothing but boomy bloated flabby bass in their face all day, but care nothing for anything else. The MA900 is easy to drive, balanced, warm, and too bassy for people who want a pure neutral sound. Their main advantage is their huge sound stage and airy nature and that they're light and not a large profile, so compact...