Posts by donunus

HD414 in stock form?
Heatfan, which pads do you like best overall when factoring in sound and comfort for the 125i. Have you tried them with flats as well?
Whats with the pages of discussion about the 1/4 inch vs 1/8 inch jacks? hahaha. We audiophiles are a paranoid bunch aren't we? LOL
I bet the 125e with bowls are better than the 225i with bowls. I had a pair of 225is and thought they were so-so and harsh with the 325is being much better. I did hear the 125 with a good tube amp and they were quite a bit better than my 225 out of some standard equipment.
The old 125s were also nice with bowls. I wonder how the new one is. What I remember from before was that the 125 had the least offensive upper mids peaks among all the other models I have tried.
   Like Hadrosaur said above, The 80 is bassier and less bright which to me makes them a little dull and muffled when using the stock comfy pads. The sr60i just matches better with the stock pads for me. But when used with bowls, the sr60i becomes a little too thin and bright making the 80i the better headphone using those pads... So in the end, if comfies (S-Cush pads) are all you are going to use then I see no reason to go for the 80i unless you want a more muffled sound...
If you don't plan to change the pads to bowls, I suggest stick with the sr60e (based on my experience with the sr60i vs sr80i comparison using comfy pads.
What I was referring to (in case anyone misunderstood me) was that the stock pads of the sr80 was the bowl pads and the sr80i came with comfy pads. The reason why the sr60 looks more extended than the 80 is that the bowl pads make the headphones brighter/tighter yet less extended in the bass region.
That graph is referring to pre-i sr60s and 80s meaning the sr80 was measured using the stock bowl pads (L-cush) at the time while the sr60 was using the comfy pads(S-cush) which is now stock on both models. The comfy pads are the reason why the sr60s are bassier and less bright there but in reality, if they both use the same pads, the sr60 would have less bass vs the sr80.
Just a thought... Hope someone can comment. With all this talk of smoother highs and a more refined sound, do Grados like the sr60e to 225e range finally lack the old plasticky sound when using bowls? Or are the highs still one note-ish like before? Everytime I put bowls, there was an instant love/hate thing for me with those models. They have a nice tight sound yet the highs just have the bshhhh thing going on. Using comfies makes them sound Lo-Fi but have a better long...