or Connect

Posts by donunus

By the way, been listening for hours now and all I can say is LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! This mod is great. It takes away that consumer grabbing thump that AKG may have been going for to attract people that audition these cans in stores. Now its just more even. I am not even considering putting the tape back in.
Alright I did it myself with my at least 300 hour burned in Q701s and the sound after taking out the tape became less bloated in the 80 go 100hz region making the sound less punchy. It makes the overall balance more even from the lower bass up to the mids though. Overall I prefer this sound because it can be turned up more with everything being clear and the punch region is not masking some details anymore. BUT, due to this new excitement about more overall clarity with...
Alright I did it myself with my at least 300 hour burned in Q701s and the sound after taking out the tape became less bloated in the 80 go 100hz region making the sound less punchy. It makes the overall balance more even from the lower bass up to the mids though. Overall I prefer this sound because it can be turned up more with everything being clear and the punch region is not masking some details anymore. BUT, due to this new excitement about more overall clarity with...
no bass boost, dsp effects or eq of any sort. Using Schiit Modi/Vali setup in case that matters.
By the way, a question for those that did the bass mod on these cans and had some driver rattling issues at loud volumes... What happened after the bass mod? Any improvements?
By the way, a question for those that did the bass mod on these cans and had some driver rattling issues at loud volumes... What happened after the bass mod? Any improvements?
Not an old fart but I have been pestering people here for advice since 2004 :D . I do have a speaker based audio background but cans are weird so far as value is concerned. They seem to kill speakers in terms of fidelity/quality when comparing same price cans vs same price speakers when under the 700 dollar region but going up in price it seems no headphone can be as musical to me as a good speaker in the same price range.
Those hd555s are nice cans for the price and definitely improve in the transient response/attack department with a good amp.
Sure it may sound okay but is it really loud enough for you?
The rattling issue also improves with burn in but nothing will ever save the distortion if the cans are underpowered.