Posts by Alondite

I'd never, ever consider using the Gratitudes for rock music. The best and most interesting parts of rock music are the intricate guitar lines, drum/brush work, and screamed vocals, all of which are masked considerably my the Gratitudes obnoxiously overblown bass.  Not really, not unless you like the sound of someone trying to sing through 3 panes of glass, which is basically what it sounds like because the harmonics are so weak compared to fundamentals.I'd much rather...
The GR07 basically does everything better than the Gratitude. The Gratitude has ridiculously overblown bass (it's elevated some 15 dB), a syrup-like midrange, and harsh, peaky treble. There's nothing "fun" or "musical" about them; they smear detail, have an unnatural timbre, and pretty much suck all the "music" out of the music. The GR07 has some resonance issues in the lower treble, and is a bit peaky up top, but has a far more natural timbre, better ergonomics, are more...
I owned the original Mk. I, and I've experience with the MK. II as well, and I can say that these are definitely no a re-packing of the MK. I. They might, however, be a re-packing of the MK. II. The CE has an internally braided cable like the MK. II (The MK. I did not have this), and is far more pliable and covered with a softer rubber that is also more silver in color than the Mk. I (which was more of a silver-grey color).Sound-wise, I don't detect any noticeable...
 I've never had an issue with fit with any IEM I've ever used, and tried them with multiple tips. The only thing that tips/insertion depth seemed to affect was the location of the resonances.When I first hear them I suspected that they were maybe, at most, $350. When the guy told me what they actually cost I was stunned. I see no reason why anyone would ever choose these over the JH13. The bass is slow and bleeds into the mids, the treble is hard and metallic, there is...
I don't think so. I've heard many accounts of people having similar issues, and seen measurements that support it. That and I told the owner how I felt about them and asked if maybe he had a bad pair, but he said he'd heard multiple pairs and they were all essentially identical. I have RE0s and GR07s that I use for mobile listening, and my primary cans are HE-400s. 
The issues I had weren't a result of transparency, so it wasn't due to source or amplification. I tried them in several setups and every one had the same problem. 
So I got a chance to hear these and...I don't think I've ever been so underwhelmed by a headphone before. They were, for lack of a better word, very "hollow-sounding," as if there was a whole frequency range missing. The bass was over-emphasized and a bit muddy, and the treble was very metallic, too rolled-off and even harsh.  And these cost how much? 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/552132/vsonic-gr07-impressions-appreciation-thread/6165#post_10390215  
Apparently the GR07 Classic IS the original GR07.
So, I'm about the drop the cash on a pair of HE-400s (they're in my HiFiMan cart right now), but I have a few questions before I pull the trigger. - Does the stock cable terminate with a 1/4 or 1/8 jack, and does it have an adapter for the other? I need both jacks. - Is it worth buying the velour pads? What do they improve? - I've heard them described as being both bright and dark, which is something that I've thought about the RE0 as well; Mids are a bit...