Posts by Aero Dynamik

And I prefer IEMs for their generally more intimate and detailed(?) sound. Of course, haven't heard anything but the Sennheiser HD 650 which I own but hardly ever use. When I bought the HD 650 I had the EarSonics SM3v1 and the EM6, but was blown away by the HD 650. However, once I got the AKG K3003 it was a completely new world. I simply love the AKG K3003 and believe I'll keep it forever.
Unless you intend to keep it for the rest of your life or at least for a very, very long time, I don't think it's impossible that is what a $1000 or so universal IEM will cost you in the end, i.e. about $200 to $400. C'mon, go for it, you know you want to, or you wouldn't be here!  
Feeling a bit confused here. Are you talking about the AK120 or the 334?
So you did it! Congratulations and welcome to the "Golden Ears" club!  
Compared to you I'm really young, 10 years younger to be precise!  Can't hear sinus tones above about 11 kHz but somehow managed to nail it nevertheless, but I oh yes, it was a tough challenge. Don't know how come, but even when I change the 16 kHz bar EQ in JRiver Media Center, I can still hear a faint difference. I wonder why. Anyone? Anyway, hang in there, you'll make it!
I'll second that, but should mention that I feel the same about the Etymotic ER-4S. However, there is some extra magic/energy in the 334 that I really don't want to be without now that I can have it.
Opened JDS Labs' C5D page and read: "super fine volume control to handle sensitive headphones and IEMs". Don't know anything about it though, but thought it a bit funny in contrast to what you write. Looks like a very interesting DAC/AMP combo.
Yes, I’m afraid that’s my impression as well, i.e. that there is no real consensus around hiss and the “HiFi-M8+334” combo. If CEntrance’s HiFi-M8 sound wise is akin to their DACport - my best sounding DAC/AMP combo - that is really a pity. I guess the only way to find out is to try it yourself. Sensitivity to hiss seems to be very individual. To me personally when music comes out of total blackness (except for my tinnitus, that is) it adds a dimension to the overall...
Not that I'm aware of I'm afraid. I considered using the EQ in Media Center 18 for practice but eventually felt the training you can have directly on their site is the most convenient. I felt exactly the same way initially, but with a bit of practice (quite a lot actually) I finally nailed it, and I'm sure you'll eventually nail it as well. Just keep going, and when you get (really) tired, take a break and come back later. Good luck, and remember to announce your victory...
It’s a good thing you brought it up, and in principle I definitely agree with you. Actually, when I read Steve Guttenberg’s review of the 334 I was led to believe amping it would make some sort of substantial difference, and it sure did, but not the way I expected it to. The truth is I found Steve’s set up (”iPod Classic + ALO Rx-MK3B + Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo”) to be quite horrible and commented it like this (can be read online as long as you’re a CNET member):”I find...