or Connect

Posts by Aero Dynamik

Congrats! I believe you're going to be one very happy ER4XR owner! 
Very interesting post and I believe I can tell exactly where you're coming from, thanks! As we all know, the answer is unfortunately no. My conviction is that IEMs will never be able to reproduce bass frequencies accurately no matter how flat the FR is. I'm not a sound scientist but my theory is that in real life bass (especially the lowest frequencies) is very much perceived by the inner ear from sound waves entering the body from other parts than the eardrums. I've been...
@mdiogofs I agree with EtyDave. First of all (as EtyDave points out) you need the low frequencies to be able to tell the difference. Secondly, you may or may not prefer a slightly elevated bass response depending on your personal preferences and your preferred SPL. Thirdly, low frequencies are more present than we usually tend to believe. Not all symphonic music utilizes tympanis, but most symphonic music utilizes double bass which can go as low as B0 (≈31 Hz), when five...
Very interesting! I was of course aware of the phenomenon but not aware that it had been scientifically mapped. So in short, SPL has a fundamental effect on how we perceive FR. That would explain why I intuitively prefer different volumes with different IEMs. It could definitely also help to explain why different people experience the same IEM with the same recording differently. For example, when the DN-2000J came out quite a few knowledgeable Head-Fi:ers - to my surprise...
[[SPOILER]] Thanks mark88888! I'm afraid not. As I mention in my post I sold it as I felt that it was underperforming in the lowest frequencies. Many others have expressed such concerns/objections over the years about the previous ER4 versions, and if I'm not misinformed that's why Etymotic finally decided to something about it; hence the ER4XR. Do note that in no way do I experience the XR as bass heavy but in fact still very, very accurate. I find the implementation of...
For those of you having a hard time to choose between the ER4SR and the ER4XR, here is why I ultimately decided to go with the ER4XR.   I have a history with the ER4PT and the reason to why I (at the end of the day) sold it was that I felt it wasn’t accurate; that it was depressed in the very lowest frequencies (< 40 Hz or so). Of course, from a clinical point of view the bass frequencies of the ER4PT weren’t depressed but that’s how I heard it.   I should mention that...
John! Let us know why you prefer the DN2002. Your opinion matters!
For anyone possibly interested I just want to mention that I made a few minor alterations to my "ER4XR mini-review (the stuff that interests me)" in an attempt to balance my wordings a bit more. I also added a link to a post where I compare the ER4XR and DUNU-2000J with a few additional words.
I agree, if we can't easily tell the difference between L and R it's a problem. Comply Foam have the 100 series ear tips (recommend by CF for many ER4s) which come in various colors. That is, you could use different colors for L and R. However, a big warning here! The T-100 medium size I've tried with the ER4XR didn't work very well at all. They felt much too soft and the isolation was (to my surprise) very substandard.
Can't say for sure as I haven't heard the SR, but a qualified guess would be the ER4SR. Personally, I'd stay away from the SR and pick up the XR. That is, if sub bass is at all important to you at - what I experience as - "normal" listening volume.