Posts by JWahl

GS-X MkII is a better comparison since BHSE is stat only.  And I appreciate Justin's work.  He can't mass produce like a larger company so his labor margins will likewise be higher just to break even compared to a larger business.  I think the Simaudio unit will be great also, and not that they are a huge business, as far as I know they aren't conglomerate owned like many of the older high end players.  I'm a really big fan of Resonessence Labs and Bryston, so maybe...
 You're absolutely right. It really could go either way.   I'm critical of the Meridian Prime for it's price, even if it sounds great. Bryston on the other hand did outstanding with their first headphone amp.  I'm thinking and hoping this one will be more along those lines. And for the price, I expect this to compete directly with the likes of the Headamp GSX MK2 and Cavalli Liquid Gold.   Not to mention the relay stepped attenuators. Closest amp with that I kind think of...
^This.  My jaw about dropped when I saw this.  This one could actually do justice to the price point.  Time will tell though, I suppose.  I've been getting more into tube amps now lately, but this one might pull me back in the future.
  Yes, although it would seem like a good idea, it really does take a person or people who are very experienced in both programming and digital audio.  Not to say that iFi doesn't have those resources, they do have someone that does their xmos programming, but it appears they're strength is in knowledge of analog signals and the most cost effective approach is to apply that expertise using an already well performing off the shelf chip.   Even Resonessence Labs, who is very...
There's no way to know for sure without measuring but I would assume true 50 watt.  I don't think they would risk tarnishing their reputation by publishing blatantly exaggerated specs.  If anything they may be conservative?
I wouldn't worry too much.  The K712 isn't bad in that regard in comparison.  I haven't heard the DT-990 but the T1 is more sibilant and ringy than the K712.  The K712 just has the slight peak around 2k which can cause some slight stridency with female vocals on more neutral setups like the O2.  Haven't heard the O2 myself but based on descriptions it should be fine.  My Concero HP drives it nicely and it's not very powerful but clean. If anything, I would say the K712 is...
Actually, a small (-2db) parametric EQ around 2khz seems to help with my K712 on the rather neutral Concero HP.
Yes, I forwarned him of that.  I am still using mine with it though.  I have noticed a slight improvement (as much as I hate to admit it) using iFi's iPurifier on the USB line.  It is very subtle though, and could be within the margin for psychological error.  This is while using my battery also, so maybe my PC just has some really dirty power. By the way, I've been using my Concero HP now for several days and have been extremely impressed.  Especially with the headphone...
I'm down for any september but the 27th myself.  Closer to the date someone should hit up Audio Advice.  They're a Mcintosh dealer so maybe we could get one of these to be demo'd:    http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=newproducts&ProductId=MHA100
Well said.  The HD800 is my reference can so far, and in lieu of not currently owning it anymore, the K712 has yet to disappoint me.  The well balanced sound as you say is it's real strength.  Even after listening to a bunch of other high end cans at a recent meet, I don't have that immediate upgraditis afterwards.  It scales well enough that I can upgrade the front end more first.  Even after hearing the K812, it's nice but certainly not 4x the price nice.  It's not that...