or Connect

Posts by JWahl

That would be interesting.  Or even a hybridized version of the Ragnarok.  Or tube buffered Yggy.    I'd take both.
1=6.3mm 2=SMC 3=3.5mm 4=XLR
^Great candidate.  I'd sign up for the HE-1000 myself if the intent to purchase wasn't a requirement.  And probably a good thing so I don't feel like I HAVE to have it. EDIT: Actually, if it can trump my longtime favorite HD-800, I may consider purchasing.
Not a problem.
   Actually, "Watts" is current times voltage.  For instance 5 volts at 2 amps is 10 Watts.  Current is the measure of the flow of electrons in a circuit.  Voltage is a measure of potential, caused by resistance to current by a load (like headphones or speakers).  When something is said to be "Current mode" it just means that the signal within the amp is flowing at a low voltage with minimal resistance and maximal current.  Voltage, current, and watts are not different...
 Thanks for the feedback and avatar compliment.  I also preferred the LCD-3F to the X, but when I tried them, it was off my old Concero HP which I don't think had enough current to drive it properly.  But for me, the HD800 is still my top choice personally.  It is a tough choice for me deciding to go back to solid state or not.  My previous solid state amp and still most preferred of ones I've heard, is the Burson Soloist.  But the Super 7 easily outclassed it for my...
Yoga, I noticed you mentioned in another thread that you're getting a loaner Yggdrasil. I'd love to hear how you think it pairs with the 430HA. I should be getting to hear one in a few weeks with the Ragrnarok and my modded Eddie Current Super 7. I like my modded Super 7 (more neutral/detailed than stock) but I would like the convenience of a top SS amp. Rag is an easy choice value wise and doubles as speaker amp but no remote. 430HA has remote and preamp function and...
 [ EDIT: I see what you mean now.  It only depends on the DAC chips output level.  Some can have a high enough level straight off the chip and maybe only require a buffer.  You can really have as many or few "stages" as you want, however as gain is increased, noise and distortion is also.  As well as possibly less transparency from additional parts in signal path. ]To answer your question as intended, copied from Resonessence Labs'...
I've used the HP in such a way with no problem.  The biggest difference is at max volume, it will put out a 4v signal.  It's not an extra output stage compared to the HD, Just higher output with lower impedance.
 Not to get too off topic, I won't argue that tubes will bring a certain "flavor" to the sound.  But I do think that well designed tube circuits can be just as transparent as solid state.  My Super 7 amp, for instance, especially modded, can be ruthlessly transparent at times.  I've actually traditionally preferred solid state, until I got a hold of this amp.  My previous amp was the Burson Soloist, and as much as I loved it, it wasn't in the same league.   I don't...