or Connect

Posts by JWahl

It's the Artix 7.  The Kintex is the next step up I believe.  Both are in the 7 series based on the 28nm process.  The Spartan 6 is on a 45nm process.  Interestingly, the smaller Artix 7 15T chip that's in the Mojo has double the logic cells of the Spartan 6 LX9 in the Hugo (16,640 vs 9152) and 45 DSP slices vs. 16.  Gotta love Moore's law.  I'm guessing there is still plenty of room left over in that FPGA.
1) Jwahl 2) Zeeland, MI 3) Sennheiser HD-650 and Fostex TH-X00.  Currently selling higher end amp and DAC so not sure what source I'll be using then. 4) Hifiman HE-1000 review here.   I have also owned a few other high end amps which I think would be comparable.  My current T3, Eddie Current Super 7, and Trafomatic Head 2.  I'm very interested in how the iCan pro sounds.  I was impressed with the standard iCan at it's price point.  But at the Pro's price point, it's...
Up for sale is my Schiit Gungnir Multibit.  This unit shouldn't need too much introduction.  It's served me well, but I need to free up some money for an upcoming move at the end of the year.   This unit was originally a DS Gungnir that was factory upgraded by Schiit.   It's most convenient for me to be paid through either square cash or Google Wallet, but I cannot use paypal.  My last few sales (EC Super 7, Trafomatic Head 2, and Schiit :Yggdrasil) were all paid to me...
*Sold* Up for sale is my Torpedo III DIY headphone amp.  This unit was built by me.  As per forum rules, this is being sold for cost of parts plus shipping.  No profit for the labor.  This was my first personal build, however, I was a military radio technician for almost 10 years and currently work at an electronics PCB manufacturer.  Amp worked properly on first power up with no problems.  I've even accidentally left it on overnight a few times with no problems.  This...
 Follow up.  I received my Purpleheart on Tuesday as expected.  Headphone sounds great as expected.  Unfortunately I've also got the bubblewrap marks, though it is faint to see.  Looks almost like donut glaze residue.  To top it off the packaging was all dented up.  Granted, I realize Massdrop can't control Fostex' QC process, or a bad shipping experience.  It is disappointing because I've otherwise been a big fan of Massdrop in the past.  And of course after waiting...
I also got my ship notice on Wednesday for the Purpleheart. Should get it by Tuesday of next week. But I'm fairly certain I was also very early in line for ordering. I was on the mahogany drop, but changed to the Purpleheart. I actually got the ship notice on my 30th birthday which was a nice coincidence. As far as the ship date discrepancy in the post above, I think those ones delayed were part of an extension to the original drop. The nature of Massdrop is that of...
Yes, it's been sold for a while now.
It's hard to say for sure because I'm using it with the HD650 now also, rather than the HD800 than I had when I had the Trafo.  My T3 also has Cinemag OPTs and Mundorf caps.  In that config, I'd say it's probably in the same league. Likewise I'm curious about the iFi because of the flexibility and features.  The Trafo was also a very versatile amp.  The T3 sounds great, but is strictly an amp, with no extra frills.
That's good to hear.  I used to have the Yggdrasil /w Trafomatic Head 2, and also my old Eddie Current Super 7.  I've since had to downgrade to the Gungnir MB and ECP Torpedo III.  I like the T3 but I'm still curious about the iCan Pro.  And curious how it meshes with the Schiit MB DACs.  Also using an HD650 now instead of HD800, but I'd like to upgrade back again, to an HD800S in the future. 
 The one in my Sig: ECP/Beezar Torpedo III, with Cinemag output transformers, and Mundorf Evo Al-Oil caps.  Base kit is $550, but was $800 as optioned.  Killer value, but of course, it's DIY, and required some through hole soldering proficiency. The iCan Pro is appealing just because it presents a high level of flexibility, with a compact form factor.  But sound quality is unknown right now.  Not sure what "digitally balanced" is?   I know it's balanced from the converter...