Posts by VTV

I wish we could see a more long term usage and comparisons before an opinion is posted. In my opinion a sound signature from a given combination of gears takes at least a month or more (based on a few hours' listening per day) to sink in to do justice to the equipment in question. I have seen preferences go from North to South in matter of weeks on many subjective topics like sound, taste etc.. Posting online prematurely often hinders accepting corrections to previously...
 Thanks, Ethan for the quoted text. I had read that while trying to read about the need for a balanced cable. In the end since I could convert my stock cables to balanced cheaply, I went balanced. Anyway my rationale was different to the point raised by the quoted part. I was not trying to pick a new gear based on balanced vs. SE. Since my gear allows for listening both Balanced/SE, I thought I should know at least for the sake of learning. As I mentioned, balanced sound...
 Thanks Chris. I did not make it clear enough. I was not asking about the ideal listening volume preferable to me. I was basically asking how to compensate for the doubling of wattage available when driving balanced, so both SE and Balanced are being listened at the same objective SPL, as opposed to subjective volume levels. Almost all the studies mention that louder always sound better when comparing A/B. Having the same Source>DAC>AMP>Cable>Headphone combo that can act...
Any suggestions on what would be the best way to compare Single Ended Vs Balanced? I have the HE-500 stock cable converted to balanced and can use the same cable as SE/Balanced from Audio GD NFB 28. The balanced connection sound perceptibly better compared to SE, but I believe loudness plays a part (Balanced means double the power). I am not quite sure by how much I need to increase volume when using as SE so the SPL matches. Any suggestions. Example, the HE-500 is...
I have been finally listening to the HE-500 from the Audio GD NFB-28 for about two weeks. I resisted the temptation to post back before I have done a reasonable amount of listening. The results are a big plus with an unintended anti-climax.   The first thing I did on the arrival of the NFB-28 was to terminate the stock cables of HE-500 to balanced using the kit available from the Audio GD (basically just one each of 4 pin XLR male + female connector and some solder tin)....
I converted my stock cable of the HE-500 to balanced. All that it took me was just 15 minutes and some careful planning. I have the best of both world with the stock cable now usable as balanced or single ended for 30 dollars. If you order the Neutrik XLR 4 pin male and female plugs and have some solder iron to spare, you can manage this for under $15 may be.    I can now AB both SE and balanced to see if the sound is different because the cable is the same and...
When I turn the volume up or down, I can hear a mild click. While no sound would be ideal, this is not a major issue for me.
 Hmm, I did that and have not yet experienced the wow moment from the HE-500. It do bring up a smile often. I have the Focal 826 and PSB T2. Both are nice, Focals especially so with excellent imaging. However the caveat is not having a sound proof room, I am unable to listen at enjoyable levels (read loud) even during the day. So the headphones are the new diversion for some night time entertainment. Of course I am yet to drive the HE-500 off anything better than the Denon...
Thanks robrob That saves me a lot of trouble. I was trying to figure out about Hifiman connectors to save the trouble of unbraiding, but your post makes it even more easier with additional information. I will check your site. I will post the results when done. Thank you.