Posts by pmillett

I'd suggest using a 6528.  The only downside is that they get really hot, and sometimes make some funny mechanical noises.  A 5998 would be an option as well. The IEM position might be attenuated too much for Grados, depending on how loud you listen, or it might be OK. Input impedance is 50k, yes. Pete
 I understand.  It IS expensive.  Hopefully you believe me when I say that the selling price is based on the cost to build - it is really not the same as the Little Dot amp with an enormous profit margin. The unfortunate reality is that you just cannot build something in the US at anywhere near the cost (using locally sourced parts) in China.  Fabricating the metal chassis for this amp costs me almost the same as what the entire Little Dot amp costs you to buy! Chinese...
 No wonder my Spanish-speaking friends always snicker when I tell them about the Teton. I did know that it means "nipple" in French, though.    Oui, oui!
 Well... to date I'm the only one who has listened to it.  And really I'm the wrong guy to ask such questions, being an engineer :) That said, it is very different than the Peak and the Pinnacle.  The Peak and Pinnacle are both pretty neutral amps with low distortion and low output impedance.  The Teton is... neither. In terms of subjective sound, I would say that the Teton sounds more like a single-ended 300B or 2A3 amp than the others.  Depending on the music and...
 My beat-up 2004 Subaru Outback drives just fine and has more space inside than my 2012 Infiniti.  The Infinity really doesn't do anything differently than the Subaru.  But I'd rather drive the Infiniti. Personally, I agree that tube rectification doesn't make a huge audible difference over solid-state (assuming SS is done well, which it rarely is).  But many listeners prefer the tube. Oh, did I mention the Inifinity cost about 10x what the Subaru cost?  Pete
The Teton has a highish output impedance similar to the original HA-2.  The Zout depends on what output tube you use...if I recall correctly it's around 100 ohms using a 6080, and as low as 50 ohms using a 6528.   Of course, the output impedance affects the sound, depending on what headphones you use.   I also added an "IEM" mode that trades gain for output impedance, so you can drive 16 ohm IEMs.  This is done with a simple resistive alternator, no magic.  So the gain...
There is some variation in the mechanics... but there can be up to ~0.3mm of a gap between the PCB and the end panels.  This may be what you are referring to.  Mechanical tolerances require that there be some space so that the PCB does not get stressed.    An ESD hit (static zap) is the most common event that I see that can cause or require a reset.  You should not have to reset the amp often - if you do, return it and we'll fix it.   Pete
  The filament supplies are DC.  There is a rectifier and filter plus a constant-current source in the power supply box.   In the amp box, there is a common mode filter and finally a shunt regulator very near the power tubes.   The idea is that the CCS and filter isolates the supply (and the rest of the world) pretty well from the filament, which for a DHT is part of the signal path (and very sensitive to noise).  The shunt regulator regulates the voltage to very...
Ah, OK, that is correct.     The issue is not that the Pinnacle cannot drive the K1000's very well... the issue is more that the gain is a little on the low side.    For me, with a normal consumer CD player as a source, it is more than loud enough.  But if you need 120dBSPL, it might need more gain (like a preamp in front of it).  
There must be some misunderstanding here - the Pinnacle drives the K1000 and the HE-6 very, very well.  In fact driving the K1000 was one of the primary reasons I designed the Pinnacle.   Maybe it was a comment about another amp?   Pete