Posts by miceblue

@Ra97oR How does one blow up a HE-6 exactly? Was it really connected to a 1.21 jiggawatt amp?
My thoughts exactly.
Welp...I just realised that I built my K 701's balanced cable incorrectly in the strictest sense. I used a star quad microphone cable and I did the wiring with adjacent cables instead of non-adjacent ones, which means EMI noise rejection isn't as effective. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line#Star_quad Ah well, I guess it's a good learning experience. I'll know that for next time though (PM-3 maybe).
lol All of this balanced stuff made me realise that I built my K 701's balanced cable incorrectly in the strictest sense. I used a star quad microphone cable and I did the wiring with adjacent cables instead of non-adjacent ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line#Star_quad Ah well, I guess it's a good learning experience. I'll know that for next time though (PM-3 maybe).
LH Labs designed their Pulse X and Wave X to be fully balanced and they have been far more transparent about their design topology. Both the Pulse X and Wave X use dual mono DACs, differential signaling for the I/V amplification and differential/balanced outputs. The single-ended mode just branches out from the balanced outputs of the amp section and a summer is used, so the fidelity of the signal is preserved for both outputs. I'd expect the two outputs to sound similar...
Mhmm, I think metallicy could describe the PM-3 a bit. For me, shouty or bright would be more in line for my impressions. Evidently from Innerfidelity's measurements, the PM-3 seems to have varied performance in the upper-mids and lower treble based on the placement of the headphones on the dummy head.And right, when I tried my K 701 in balanced mode with the Pono, it sounded surprisingly good to me. Using the single-ended output mode though, it was basically...
That's really bizarre. So it essentially has balanced operation then with a connection similar to Sony or Pono?
Yeah. Yesterday's A/B testing was about 20-30 minutes long. Given meet conditions, that's quite a bit of time. I listened to whole songs and did the switch, as well as switching part-way through songs like any normal A/B testing session. I usually get used to the sound of something really quickly so I don't think time spent is a big factor for me. I also don't listen to music very loud. Someone at the meet had a calibrated SPL setup and I was averaging 75-80 dB SPL volume...
Let's just say people were complaining about its sound even with pre-production units.I'm listening to the STAX rig for the first time in about a month and I forgot how transparent it sounds. Dang mang. I definitely like it more than some of the current flagship headphones at double or triple the price point.Can't wait for the next meet when there's going to be at least 2 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity units and probably 2 Yggdrasils. Tis' going to be interesting for...
So just have the master and analogue volume sliders at 0 dB/maximum. It's essentially a variable line out system if you have 0 dB master slider and adjust the analogue sliders.