Posts by desertblues

Hi Jeb - I found a beautiful pair of the Hytrons (mid 1950's w/elongated bent getters natch) and installed them in the WA7 immediately. Talk about lightning in a bottle, they are indeed superb - my new favorites! I can't believe how much they improve the T1 in soundstage and isolation of instruments. I prefer them over the Mullards, and I do love my Mullards! The CBS - Hytrons also burn with a glow like no other 12au7, gorgeous tubes.
Thanks for those, Whirlwind. That 2010 jam is epic!
I am currently enjoying a pair of RCA 5814a blackplates, 3 mica 1950's vintage. I only have 12 hours on these, but they are definitely going to stay in my rotation. My favorite to date is a beautiful pair of Mullard ECC82 (Blackburn 1964 date codes). I am also fond of the RCA cleartops, but I keep going back to the Mullards. I have not heard those Siemens silver plates yet but hope to eventually. By the way, I have a pair of Reflektor 6C45 that are cryo-treated. To my ears...
Just finished reading your tube rolling guide for the WA7, and I have to tell you this may be the best one I have ever come across based on my experiences with many of the tubes you reviewed. Should be required reading for WA7 owners! Thanks for the great review.
Thanks, I'll try it.
I have had the DX90 for a few days and am very pleased with it's performance with internal memory. I purchased it with the bundle on Amazon including 128gb micro card. I can't get files to load to card from my iMac, do I need to format the card? I have little experience with this. Any help would be appreciated!
I got my DX90 just yesterday and I am having a very different experience. I am quite pleased with how good it sounds right out of the box! It blows away my iPod touch and any phone I've heard. So far I've tried my T1, PS500 and TH900 and they are all great with the DX90! The TH900 is really amazing with it. It came with the 2.1.5 fw and I have not upgraded it yet. Using low gain for TH900 and high gain w/T1 with no problems at all. Letting it burn in now - very pleased...
I also have the TH900 which is indeed spectacular with WA7/WA7tp. The other flagship I would recommend you try is the T1 - has amazing soundstage, accurate bass, gorgeous mids etc. And the WA7 drives them with ease.
My amp/dac of choice for my T1 is the Woo Audio WA7 w/tube power supply. It has a high impedance switch for cans like the T1, and I don't normally have to raise volume higher than 9 o'clock to get full sound quality (I mostly listen to hi rez or quality lossless downloads these days). I too come from Grado's and recently added the Fostex TH 900 and they are all quite different but the WA7 is great with each one. I'm a tube guy but there are some great solid state amps too,...