Posts by BackwardPawn

Thats good.  I'll order the 5693s then and then figure out what to do about the EF80s.  If I'm happy with the 5693s and the 6AS7Gs I may just give up on my project to redo the adapters.  Thanks.   One of the tube stores I called about prices heard I was using adapters and suggested I get tubes made for my sockets, anyway.  He said he's heard of too many cases where the adapters just randomly stop working and need to be rebuilt.
Can anyone explain the difference between the 6AS7Gs and the 5998s?  I keep reading that the 5998 has higher gain, so they pair better with the 5693s, but using stock input tubes and the 6AS7Gs, I don't feel like I'm missing any power, though.  Am I going to run into problems pairing the 5693s with the tubes I have?
  Thanks, I'll have to pick up a pair, then.   I see you're using EF80s.  I wish I could use mine.  Do you have any idea how I can fix my adapter.  I know what the pin continuity should be--is it as easy as just attaching the wires or are those connections they use between pins in the B9A portion of the adapter necessary?   or...I could ebay my EF80s, buy a pair of 5693s, enjoy my RCA 6AS7Gs.  I know its not the best pairing, but it should produce a nice warm sound and...
I might eventually change.  I think I'll hang onto the 339 for a while ;)  Isn't the 339 just a slightly better 337, anyway?  I need to find somewhere to audition some headphones, though--maybe a meet next time there's a meet in the area.  I actually like the Beyers as all around headphones--and I have constantly sore muscles around my jaw due to a rare condition so they're one of the only brands I've tried that don't bother me.   My one issue with them is they come up a...
  I haven't heard either pair, but I'd read that the 6SJ7GT with mesh was more detailed but colder, while the 5693s had less detail, but more warmth.  Since I'm using Beyers, anything I can do to make them warmer is probably a good thing.
If I can't be guaranteed to get a 6JS7GT with mesh, am I better off just ordering the 5693s?
I actually did figure out the issue with the adapter, but haven't figured out the best way to fix it yet.  I used a DMM to compare pin continuity and it looks like two pins were reversed.  It shouldn't be hard to just solder pins from the base to a new top, the problem is I'm not sure what those solder bridges they put on the adapters are for.  My best guess is they ground the circuit in some way.   Fixing the adapter is on my list of things to do, but I think I'm...
The surgery on my 339 went well.  It was indeed the wire wound resistors creating the crackle.  The new Vashay resistors work well and sound better than the old ones--even with the stock input tubes still on.  Now all I have to do is decide whether to fix the broken adapter and use the EF80s or buy a set of octal tubes to go into the input sockets.   How would I go about fixing the adapter?  Should I assume the base was done correctly, desolder all the old...
I've been using a 15w soldering iron for PCB work.  Considering the mass of the wire plus with the size and heat shielding on the wirewound resistor, will this be hot enough for will I need to get a 25w iron?    Also what size solder should I use for this, as I assume I need something larger than the .032" I've been using on PCBs?  My friend is probably going to help me with this and has a lot more experience, but just in case his schedule is full and I end up doing...
Do all 6sj7gt have mesh or just certain brands?  I know Tung-sol does, and I've seen others with it, but didn't know if it was standard or an option.   Also I found a 1950s tube tester in my uncles' basement.  Unfortunately there's no octal slocket being from the 50s, but I'll post a picture of the EF80s on it next time I'm over to show they're still good (or to see if they actually are bad, but since one adapter was working, I think the tubes are ok.).   I have...