Posts by stratocaster

Looking for a working Senn HD540 Reference driver. PM me if you have one to offer.
Looking for a working Senn HD540 Reference driver. PM me if you have one to offer.
With this closed setup and the leather pads the Koss drivers have a more linear response than the Sennheiser drivers. In my experience the KSC-75 drivers perform best.
Your leather pads look promising. Do not forget to dampen the cups with some open-cell foam to deminish any reverb.
Carried out some radical surgery on a battered set of SR-125 drivers/SR-325 cups I got for cheap. As the diaphragm of one of the drivers was coming loose, I had to 'decapitate' the driver to open it up and fix the issue. The next step was to make wood inserts for the drivers. Made some rosewood and limba ones and finally ended up using the limba set. Finally I applied some (serious) damping on the back of the drivers, since the drivers came with a comple hole-punch mod...
I am looking to buy a set of Grado SR60.
Just apply the electric tape or sock mod on the pads and you will hear what a little less permeability of the pad material will do. It will significantly increase the lower frequencies.
In my experience the excess of bass is a direct result of the pads. If you use leather, velour or other non-permeable material different from the Grado foam, you have to deal with that sort of bass. It is no coincidence that Grado uses foam to achieve some sort of balance.
These pads sure are nice and - in case you use fine leather - classy looking , aren't they? They remind me of the pads on the Orpheus.
 A true stealth Senn! Yeah, I think the leather adds some class to the HD580/6XX series.