Posts by anson67

Ah, I didn't realize that!  I wouldn't want to constantly remove and reinstall the cable.  I envision it would take a rather large travel case to allow for non-destructive coiling of the connected cable, the stock cable at any rate.
Not sure if you don't want a Hifiman case at all or simply didn't know about the Hifiman travel case specifically designed for the HE-560 but it lists for $29 on the hifiman web site:   http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=207   Looks well padded as it should for a custom design.  If I wanted a travel case this would be the first one I'd consider.  Not in the market for one though as my HE-560 stays near my desk.
ThurstonX, that looks pretty good.  I like the custom rack for your Schiit stack, too.  All my headphones currently sit on Sennheiser HH-10 holders off the side of my desk but I'm leaning towards an omega-like stand for the HE-560, too, to showcase it of course!
Like Mike in Bama I also received an open box HE-560 earlier this week from Razordog.  I don't know how many hours it has, if any, so I'll give it some time before some serious judgment.  At the moment, driven by a Lyr 2, it sounds a lot like my HD600 only the bass is much, much tighter and more enjoyable and while I never thought the HD600 has any type of veil the HE-560 is "clearer" and "cleaner" that it sounds like my HD600 with the absolute thinnest of veils...
I posted a picture of my through board above and in it you can see two holes for stand offs. My motherboard did have two stand offs on which it was mounted, so I guess my Bifrost has a different motherboard than yours.
For USB, you could certainly give the Schiit Modi a try.  At $99, if you don't like it, consider the 15% restocking fee the cost of being able to audition one for 15 days.  Check out the reviews in this forum.
Will you be using USB or optical/coax out of your system?  I chose to bypass USB for optical out of my Macbook Pro and purchased the Schiit Bifrost without the USB option.  Price was much better that way, and since Schiit poo-poos the USB option anyways, it was an easy decision since my MBP has an optical S/PDIF output.  I can't join the USB-sounds good/bad argument because I've not heard the Bifrost connected that way   I was happy with the Bifrost before but having...
Thanks to everyone for the detailed instructions.  I managed to upgrade my Bifrost fairly quickly and painlessly as a result!   Now, the old board I had is versioned at 1.11 and is basically a single sided board with the processor really the only surface mounted component:       I noticed earlier in the thread that someone's stock board is actually much more similar to the new one in construction in that it has more surface mounted parts, is dual sided,...
On to headphone holders, I use the Sennheiser HH 10 holders clamped to my desk. Here is a rather good price on these: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/376202.html Can't have enough of these so I ordered a couple more! EDIT: The price was/is $10.69 each, in case it changes and my post no longer seems like a deal! -anson
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?   Yes   2. Do you own any SACDs?    Yes   3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?   I have about a dozen SACDs or hybrid CD/SACD discs.  That is waaaay less than 1% of my music collection, not even noise.   4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?    No   5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you...