Posts by NA Blur

High sensitivity is not the issue.  I think you are worried about low impedance.  As long as you stay above 16 Ohms you will not need a low impedance amp to drive them and avoid hiss and other issues.   Soft tipped CIEMs do wear out and can leave debris in your ear which is why many companies went to solid CIEM designs.   Inflammation of the ear be it inner or outer is a time where you probably should not be using a CIEM.  None of my IEMs cause this problem however if...
It depends on your budget, but the Schiit Magni/Modi or O2+ODAC would be a great start.  There are cheaper options.  Give the folks at Headphone.com a ring sometime and they will give you some recommendations based on budget and your needs.
Sounds like the voltage at the wall plug is dropping down below spec when the mains / boiler kicks.  This causes your PC and DAC to possible both drop in voltage.   One easy thing to try, if it is a USB DAC, is to go into power management for your USB HUB devices and remove the power management.  This will allow your PC to provide more power to the DAC.  Not sure if that will work, but it can help.
The K701 and Q701 do not have poor mids  In fact they excel in the mid range very well.  The K712 Pro does have +3dB more bass, but the sound is less piercing than the K701/Q701 because of some resonator / driver changes.
I was referring to the 2014 version.  I should mention that it is not a tube amp.
I have owned all three headphones and the K701 is too bright, the Q701 is ugly and feels a little cheap, and the K702 is really just the K701 in disguise.  I ended up with the K712 Pro because it looks better than both the K701 and Q701 in my opinion and has a much needed bass boost that the K701 and Q701 just do not have.  I wish the K712 Pro was made from different materials and lacked the elastic in the headband, but to me if your budget is not a huge concern the K712...
Yay!  I am glad you fixed the problem.
Yeah the thought that the amp is the slow part of the chain is somewhat ridiculous.
Here are a few tracks to try with your gear:   1.)  Chick Corea's Three Ghouls, Part 1 from The Ultimate Adventure album   2.)  Emergency's No Motion from Fantasy ( Free Digital Single )   3.)  Nuclear Ramjet's Folding time track from Fahrenheit Project Part Two   Those are just a few tracks from my HD Tracks playlist that should make your gear shine.   It is important to keep your PC and DAC volume at 80% including  your player and just use your amp's volume to...
Your gear should sound pretty sweet so let's check a few things.   1.)  Do you run PC --> USB --> Modi --> Magni --> HE-500?   2.)  What volume do you have your player(s) and output audio set to on your PC?   3.)  The velour pads are the way to go so keeps those on   4.)  The stock cable is more than adequate and I would not spend more than $90 on a new cable.  There are other areas to spend that money on like new music that may make a huge difference compared to...