Posts by bengold

I've been using an EF2A with my Sony MDR-V6s for a couple of months and have really been enjoying this set up. I read that replacing the stock tubes is a good idea, so I just bought a pair (not sure if they're matched or not) of GE tubes. Will these make a difference, has anyone tried GE tubes? Does it matter if they're matched or not?   Also, has anyone else noticed static and other noises when nothing is playing? I hear something that almost sounds like a faint...
So, I have a few pairs of headphones that I'm very happy with (Etymotic ER-4Ps, Sony MDR-V6, and Bang & Olufsen A8), but since I'm primarily using them to listen to music on my MacBook Air, which has an integrated Intel soundcard, I've finally decided that I should spend a little money on an AMP and DAC to make them sound even better.   I bought Nuforce's new cube with is a headphone amp, DAC, and speaker. I know a jack of all trades device like this is usually a...
I just bought a pair of these tonight because my ER4Ps are starting to go and since they're over 2 years old and I would have to pay for a repair, I decided to use this opportunity to get the hf3s.   Previous, I had purchased the mc3s because I wanted something with iPhone controls, but I never really loved them. They sounded ok, but I think I was just spoiled by the ER4s, which sound amazing even without any kind of external amp. Also, the mc3s were much bulkier and...
So, it has come to my attention that I should probably get a portable amp to use with my headphones and my computer. I typically use a pair of Etymotic ER-4Ps with my MacBook Pro and iPhone. The sound quality has never bothered me that much because of they super isolation provided by the Etymotics and also because I try to keep only high bit rate tracks in my music library.   I'm wondering what a good starter amp would be. I don't really want to spend a lot of money,...