Posts by buson160man

I am not familiar with the beyer headphones. But I have had a pair of akg 701s since 2009 . Of the three headphones that I own the grado rs1i, the audeze lcd2 v2 and the akg 701 my best overall headphone is the k701. I know a lot of people would question my preference for the k701 over the lcd2 but in my experience with several headphone amps I find that if I want to hear what the actual recordings sound like the k701 is the best suited for revealing the actual sound. It...
Boy she sure looks pretty the cabinet looks to be in excellent condition. The black face looks pretty nice most examples I have seen are silver.
I would not call the 701 dry sounding. It is just as I said before neutral in most ways. The benchmark is analytical sounding .I use a recapped vintage concept 16.5 monster vintage receiver from the late seventies and the 701s do have bass when sufficiently powered. Of course the monster receiver has way more power than most any headphone amp that I have heard .I have become a big fan of these vintage monster receivers they power headphones with a sense of power that I...
 Parts can age with time. After thirty years you can expect that .Vintage units can become ticking time bombs if they are not restored that can damage speakers when they finally fail . But is it worth having your unit recapped and restored ?  Receivers from back in the seventies were better built than a lot of newer units those newer units would probably not be working after forty years . In the eighties I guess that was when they started cost cutting to increase the...
 I remember I had a Phillips cd player that was built like a tank. It was heavy as hell and had a cast all metal chassis. It had the ubiquitous td chip in it. I had it a long time. I gave it to my godson . I was surprised to hear much later that he had the I believe it was the cd 881 now that I think of it for about another ten years before it gave up the ghost. They really built units to last back then. Not like the affordable stuff  they make today . Most of the high end...
I am late in the game and really another blog about the k701. I am sure it has been said before but the 701 I feel does get a bad rap because people are not patient enough to address the demands that this headphone places on what is north of it. These phones have been used by a lot of professionals in the pro sound industry for monitoring purposes. So it does have some credentials. It is a very neutral sounding headphone that is very honest and as such is a very revealing...
 You have two 16.5s I am envious. I live in a small apartment and I do not have the space to amass a collection. I am lucky to have the space for one of these monsters (really I do not). But as long as I have space on the floor for it it will remain a staple and my preferred headphone amp. I really can not imagine any sanely priced headphone amp could hold a candle to the beast. I have heard some esoteric amps including the latest cavallis and none of them can touch the...
 My 16.5 has broken in since I made my comments and it is astounding sounding with my akg 701 phones. It is the best headphone amp that I have heard . I would like to make a suggestion to you. Upgrade the fuses on your concept receivers . I upgraded the two rear panel fuses with isoclean 7 amp fuses and the change was very  noticeable. Since the power cord is captive obviously that is not possible but replacing the fuses is tantamount to a power cord upgrade. The change...
 Those old pioneers integrated amps sure look pretty in their wood cases.
 You might consider using a vintage circa late 1970s receiver to drive your headphones. I was following these vintage units for awhile and finally took the plunge about 5 months ago. I have not looked back ever since. I bought a concept 16.5 monster vintage receiver and it easily trumps most headphone amps that I have heard for driving headphones. The available power that a unit like the 16.5 produces with headphones is considerably more than most headphone amps out there....