Posts by buson160man

Ditto for me. I have experienced this first hand. I had bought a pair of lcd2 v2s(pre fazor) and was largely disappointed in their sound feeling that while they sounded ok but  I expected more. Well I was largely using my preferred akg 701s for most of my headphone listening. I thought I would try to get more out of my lcd2 so I purchased a upgrade cable at the not considerable price of around 630 usd(two thirds the price of my lcd2) well while I was very pleased with the...
 Well here goes another opinion that runs contrary to yours. I liked the ether so much that I ordered a pair. I myself found the ragnarok at least with the ether to be disappointing. I thought it sounded boomy with the ether. I preferred the woo wa5 better and the cavalli even more. The cavalli was clearly better sounding than the ragnarok at least to my ears. The cavalli was their cheapest desktop unit but not inexpensive. The cavalli had the best top to bottom...
 As a addendum I also heard the ether with the atoll preamp/dac/headphone amp and it sounded very good. With a very neutral and natural sounding quality. I was surprised at how good this moderately priced component sounded at its modest price. I did not hear how it works as a preamp but for driving at least the ether it works pretty damn well . I felt that the atoll offers a lot of bang for the buck. Any one going to the axpona show today the atoll  set up was in the...
 I attended the axpona show this weekend and heard the new ether a couple of times on different set ups. It sounded very good on both set ups. The sound is very open and  transparent but at no time did it sound sharp . It has  a very natural sound with excellent imaging and seems to be spot on with regards to tonality. I also found them to be very comfortable. They are light and do not put any pressure on your head. I wished my lcd2 v2s were this comfortable after a couple...
The forthcoming hifi man headphone amp sounded pretty impressive. I inquired about the price but they would not divulge what the price would be and when the amp would actually be coming out. The amp looked pretty impressively built and ran a bit warm .This one sounded very good with the new hifi man 1000 model.
I bought a three day pass way back when. I went to the show on Friday There is just so much to see and hear. Headphones and speakers galore. I did not get a chance to hear the new hifi man 1000 yesterday hope I can get a chance today but the lines will be long and they only had two 1000s to listen to. The wait was too long yesterday the people were listening for awhile to them .    Today I am going to try and cover as much of the show as possible. It seems like there is...
Went to the  axpona show today and visited the sounds classic table at the  market place. They had a pioneer sx-1980 playing a pair of old altec lansing monster speakers. They were also using an old pioneer reel to reel pretty nice set up but hard to tell exactly what things sounded like with all the ambient noise but it was nice to see these old units in perfect working condition.
 My recommendation in my case is a recapped vintage (circa late seventies) monster receiver. I purchased a 16 5 concept receiver that was recapped and it works very well with the LCD-2 v2. This beast weighs in at sixty seven pounds and puts out 165 watts rms per channel into 8 ohm loads. I do not use it with speakers I purchased it to use specifically with headphones. It also works really well with my akg 701 phones.    I do not know how much  power it pumps out with...
Yes the speakers are active and require a balanced preamp. I have decided to eventually get the grace m905 analog monitor controller. I have read that it works really well as a preamp and is one of the most reasonably priced options out  there for controlling balanced active monitors . It also has some unique features being primarily designed for studio use.