Posts by buson160man

I had similar results with the synergistic fuses myself . I returned the fuses that I tried . I have hifi tuning supreme fuses in most of my equipment but I have recently tried the isoclean fuses in my vintage receiver. I am thinking they may be better than the supreme fuses in some ways. I think they may be more open sounding and have better soundstage reproduction based on what they have done with my receiver.
 I would like  add some observations to what I have stated before in my evaluation. These are things that seem to have developed since my original observations of the 16.5. I guess the receiver has broken in more since my original observations . The 16.5 has an ability to separate the instruments like no headphone amp that I can remember hearing . Recordings have never sounded this resolved before and stay that way at the highest volume level that I dare to listen at which...
I was browsing the selection of used pieces at decibel audio in Chicago's wicker park area and I saw a used concept 11.0 receiver on their shelves. It looked to be in good condition and I thought the price was something over 400 dollars. The unit did look pretty clean.    If it is a chip off the old block and has similar sound characteristics like my concept16.5 it should be an exceptional piece.   Oh that should have been shop not chop.
Check out the august 2014 issue of hifi news and record review . They did a review of the McIntosh MHA100 in the magazine .
    Your suggestion or shall I say assumption that the quality of sound from an old receiver is less than acceptable is unfounded. I have a restored concept 16.5 vintage receiver and it sounds awesome on the hd700 . Not all vintage receivers are the same . I have heard  my audeze lcd2s on the bryston headphone amp and my concept 16.5 can more than hold its own on driving the lcd2. In fact the tonality of the concept 16.5 is superior and the power of the bass on the bryston...
I nominate the concept 16.5 vintage monster receiver restored of course. I am a recent convert to the use of vintage receivers for driving headphones. I was pretty lucky to pick this beast up and I can attest to the power this monster puts forth when driving headphones . While my lcd2 v2s are not hard to drive my akg 701s are a bit pickier about the amp that drives them and this beast sounds great with both of them. Of course in different ways but the 16.5 seems to wring...
 Are there any other concept 16.5 owners out there ? If there are I would appreciate any opinions you have of the receiver or any other input relating to the 16.5 .
I have a pair of airmotiv 5s on my desktop and I have had no hum or noise issues with mine .
 I myself find that the stock cable on  my lcd2 v2s really holds the headphone back . I have recently bought a cable pro reverie lcd2 cable that has really dramatically improved the performance of my lcd2 v2. While it is certainly not cheap it has really elevated the performance of my lcd2 v2 . I just wished that the stock cable could have been better so I might have saved me the money that I  shelled out on the new leash .That is the nature of the high end .
I have followed threads relating to the use of vintage receivers as headphone amplifiers. I have owned a set of audeze lcd2 v2 headphones for at least a couple of years and over that time I have been somewhat underwhelmed by its performance with a number of headphone amps that I have either owned or have auditioned at meets shows etc.   After following those threads I thought it was time to check out one of these vintage receivers and see how they might sound with the...