Posts by buson160man

Wow I bet the person who owns this monster was really upset when he saw what happened to it. Wow the husband must have done something pretty bad for his wife to react like she did ( a hammer no less). The power supply on this monster is really impressive looking isn't it? That is why these beefy amps are such a struggle to move around. I know my concept 16,5 receiver is a real struggle to move around. But I imagine the mac amp is even heavier based upon the photos shown...
           I know this is an old thread but I just picked up a recapped vintage concept 16.5 receiver. Back in the seventies the damping factor on a lot of these old receivers was for the most part less than 100. The concept 16.5 seemed to have a exceptionally high damping factor for a receiver at the time with a damping factor of over 450. I imagine that is why it sounds very impressive in the bass with my lcd2 v2 phones. The 16.5 gives me grip in the bass that I do not...
Boy those old pioneers really do look pretty. Not like my humdrum looking concept 16.5 I recently picked up. But after having it for a couple of weeks it does not look to bad just kind of plain jane.
 I am not familiar with the onkyo integrated but I do own the companion sacd/cd player from onkyo the cs5vl and it is actually a pretty decent cd player. On sacd it is actually better sounding than my much more expensive denon 3931ci player. I still prefer the denon on regular cds.   The 3930ci is still a exemplary dvd player though. I have compared it to the oppo bdp105 non darbee edition and the 3931ci just smoked the bdp 105 on video. The denon was noticeably sharper...
Thanks I am happy with the concept 16.5 receiver. Frankly I myself was not aware of the concept line. I probably saw some of their units way back at one of the pacific stereo stores. But I was probably ogling the high end room with the harmon khardon citations the acoustic research AR 11s(which I eventually did buy from pacific stereo back then) and whatever high end brand equipment they carried at the time. I used to own a kenwood receiver and a onkyo receiver back in the...
Ditto from me.
 I recommend the concept 16.5 vintage circa 1978 monster receiver. This baby is big it weighs in at a back breaking 67 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just have to see the power supply on this puppy. I seriously doubt any normal headphone amp has one that is this beefy including ones like the cavallis. I very recently bought a recapped and serviced unit. After two weeks I am in heaven. The 16.5 drives the lcd2 v2s with an authority that I have never heard from the lcd2. I...
They look a lot like my lcd2 don't they
 I like you have recently joined the brotherhood of vintage receiver owners. I was looking at old receivers about a month ago and saw a 9090 sansuii in one of the shops along with a pioneer 1050 at least I thought that was the model number. They both looked very nice but the shop was so crowded  with equipment that the proprietor was kind of iffy about letting me audition them with my lcd2s. He wanted me take his word that the receivers worked ok. One thing though when I...
 I have just joined the party Saturday. I have been reading about the use of old vintage stereo receivers for driving headphones. I have been particularly interested in the higher powered receivers from back in the 70s when the monster very high powered receivers were born. The pioneers seem to have a very strong following. But there are a few others as well.    I have been reading about them a lot lately. I was looking for one as a possible alternative to a dedicated...