or Connect

Posts by nick n

If you are US or Canada there is the loaner program in the Sponsor Announcements thread.
Sorry for double posting  but I noticed it is likely that Elega OEMd this shell specifically for ESS, then made use of the remainder of what they made by retrofitting their own drivers in there. Explains why it was only out for a 2 year run at pretty much the same time period or just after ESS released theirs. Specifically take a look at what appears to be a rectangular driver mount frame on the baffle, which serves no other function in this setup shown with the round...
One thing I just figured out and I will try to keep it brief here. The reason the highs were nice and prevalent is due to the decayed foam directly on the driver rear. I am compensating and closely recreating that effect by using  double stack of the Legacy Cotton quilt batting ( like a fuzzy felt =2 discs per side, fuzzy side facing driver rear, secured to each other with rings of double sided tape  ) and a couple layers over the rear vents. Few bits of Dynamat here...
another shot of the front which is important because that is a major tuning influence.   I replaced the earside foam with this "thick" stuff, though it still is thin :P. It has a minor effect overall, maybe a touch off the top end. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thin-Thick-Inside-Foam-Disk-Ear-Pads-For-HD545-HD565-HD600-HD650-Headphones-/261515186997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3ce3851335   As you can see the baffle holes and hole arrangement are slightly different than...
Sure! It's really simple inside = a large space.  Good to know about the drivers being similar, might see about some for a project. Very even keeled, nice and open sounding, nothing stands out more than anything else basically. As I say I forget about them and get into the tunes all the time, been using them quite a bit.  I'll have to look at your post and specs.   Those are Fostex T50RP pads by the way, stock ones were like old pioneer things. Similar opening size,...
ELEGA DR214-C   20-20,000Hz 100mw 105 db    One vintage I feel really needs no work, it truly is good as-is but of course everything can be bumped a bit. Sadly the foam has started to go funny, so after a careful cleaning I will replace the foam with Angel Hair and I should be in heaven assuming it stays similar which it should ( but improved ). Possibly a little Dynamat here and there can't hurt either, maybe a ring around the magnet and the flange of the driver...
why not get the stuff with the adhesive layer preapplied? that is offered as one of their versions of it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/760203/oppo-pm-3-portable-planar-magnetic-headphones-loaner-program     try this link
Just looking at the KZ-ATE and ED10 on fleabay, prices are ridiculous ( low ) Was not expecting that from the Ali pics, especially the ATE. The thing is gorgeous. Thanks for the thread people.
Most of, if not all, the older hifi/amps/tuners/speakers and headphones were made in Government run military factories at the time before the collapse.There may be a similar setup existing still in places, if the tooling exists why not take advantage of it rather than reinvent the wheel.