Posts by dlhen68

I'll have to add here a comparison to the B&W P7 (gasp!). I have both. Surprisingly, the AE2s hold up well (to my ears) in a head to head with the P7s. There is a slight "purity" that comes through on the P7s and a bit more focus and punch in the bass, but the AE2s are no slouch. Plus the AE2s don't have the upper mid/lower treble harshness that sometimes bothers me on the P7s. I keep switching back and forth, and by damn they are closer than one might expect. Even though...
Any way to use these with a receiver (PS3 via HDMI)? I like to watch movies w/ headphones. I'm knee deep in wires.
I know this has been touched on previously. Some have stated that the P7s "scale well" with a good amp/dac. What specifically is the effect of this combination on the sound? I don't (as yet) have a dedicated headphone amp/dac.
I had been vacillating like crazy between the P7s and the HP50s (I bought both to try). It was back and forth for weeks. Then I decided to return both. I boxed up both sets. Then I ended up unboxing them again for one last listen. The HP50s have a good overall sound but are very uncomfortable on my ears after a short time; if only the ear pads were larger and deeper. SO back in the box they went. I prefer the fit of the P7s, so I hunkered down with those again. The HP50s...
I think they're pretty good with metal. The bass is strong and focused but not bloated. The harshness I've mentioned is mostly on older recordings that are inherently very upper mid / treble oriented. The cans seem quite fast. I just listened to some Metallica and can't find too much to complain about there.
You're right Illustrator; It's only evident on some sources. Most of the time it's fine. Here's one of my problems. Doing a little EQ on my iPod (or Macbook Pro) isn't a big deal really. But I like to use headphones when I watch movies. I play blu-rays through a PS3 via HDMI to a Pioneer receiver. It's a decent receiver (albeit with a too-complicated interface). Ironically, as complicated as it is, the EQ feature via headphones is a blunt instrument. The only...
Well, 4khz is an approximation; that seemed to be the general area (the EQ sliders aren't that detailed in terms of seeing the specific frequency). I've had the P7s since mid November and have put at least 200 hours on them. I agree that the initial spikiness has lessened, but it still pops up here and there. As I mentioned previously, it doesn't seem to be an anomaly. It's simply the result of the push in that region of the spectrum. The strident bits in some pieces of...
Anybody listening to the P7s with no EQ and no amp/dac? My only reservation with these cans is the push in the mid-treble, so I decided to put them to the acid test. Last night I played several selections from The Beatles' early catalog (the 2009 remasters). Now, admittedly, these are not what you might call "hi-fi" recordings. I found the mid-treble embellishment intolerable on these tunes. It actually hurts my ears. I found that if I put the iPod into the "loudness"...
...also, the pads don't appear to be replaceable. :(
I've had the NADs and the P7s for a few weeks. I have some fit issues with the NADs (shallow ear pads) and they sound veiled to me, with a sort of unfocused and sometimes excessive bass response. The P7s have tighter more focused bass, but very aggressive mid-treble, causing some fatigue. I was hoping one of these would do it for me. Not so sure now. I have a little more listening time before returning (?) them...