or Connect

Posts by Brooko

Neither headphone has ever been veiled.  it became an urban myth when the big three were at the height of their popularity:K701DT880HD600 (and later the HD650) Both the K701 and especially the DT880 are brighter than what is tonally natural.  When comparing, people described the HD600 (and later the HD650) as veiled.  Hear either headphone on a decent amp, and you'll realise what a silly claim it is. And yes - I've owned all 3 headphones, and whats more, all at the same...
[Mod Comment]   Gentlemen - the Mods/Admins are investigating the claims, and we're endeavouring to get both sides of the story here.   I have deleted nehcrow's post, and people commenting on it - because it tells one view of what happened - and we have already been reported (from another source) - an entirely different version. Until we ascertain what really happened, can we please refrain from any further comments on the matter - and especially the "trial by public"...
 All the impedance curves matched within about 0.5 dB right across the spectrum when I volume matched the IEMs.  I haven't measured the resistance of the cables yet - will make a note to that when I've cleared my review queue a bit.
To illustrate - if you check my review of the MEE P1 - an IEM said to vary with cable changes - I decided to test it   http://www.head-fi.org/products/mee-audio-pinnacle-p1-high-fidelity-audiophile-in-ear-headphones-with-detachable-cables/reviews/16704   I graphed each of the cables, then volume matched and overlaid them.  The results speak for themselves.  The difference was volume and it was audible.  But rather than change cables - the cheaper option is simply just...
 Actually - if you re-read what they've posted, you'll find they are correct.  Typically when a cable has produced a different sound for me, I've gone back and done measurements.  Every time I've done it, the cable has has slightly different resistance which has then raised or lowered the volume slightly.  When I volume match - the difference disappears.  It's not magic we're talking here - merely science.  If it is so easy to discern, then why is it that no-one has...
Hoping to have review up this week or next.  If you can wait - I'll try and post graphs and quick impressions this weekend.
 I don't think any headphone can be given a crown of "king" - each individual has their own tastes. HD600 has been part of my stable for years, and I spent more time with it than my T1 over the last couple of years.  It is a timeless classic which never fails to impress me.  However for me personally it has finally been surpassed, and I will be putting mine up for sale eventually.  HD800S is my new "king".  But I'd still recommend the HD600 in a heart-beat.  Fantastic...
 They sound nothing like the original SM3 to me. I regard that as a good thing.
I just checked SE535 and AM3 - there is precisely one person commenting about hiss.  Why on earth would you want to go balanced with the SE535 though?  They are easy to drive (Iused to own them) - so using balanced won't help in the slightest.  Just use the AM1 single ended.
 The hiss will depend on the IEM being used.  With massively sensitive IEMs there may be some hiss (eg Andromeda).  What IEM are you pairing with?