Posts by Brooko

Definitely visible Gill.  Basically looks like my original photos - but with the pot between the two tubes.  I've already had a message from Martin - he knows how to drastically reduce the ringing, and he already had plans to include the gain switch.   Only reason I didn't post photos of this prototype is that it would be misleading as to how the finished product would look.
Alrwady had feedback from Martin - and he's pretty sure that all of the issues I've mentioned are very fixable.   You're going to need to decide between the E12 and this one.  Fiio puts out fantastic gear - very powerful.  This is very good as well. Going to have to make a decision mate - and this one I can't help you with.   PS - been listening to the X5 + PHVA + DUNU DN-2000J for most of the afternoon now.  Really nice combo  
OK - got the makeshift unit.  These impressions are after listening for around an hour so far.  The unit has pre-aged tubes (I got Martin to burn it in for me before he sent it).   Physical Observances Physically this unit has following differences from the proposed finished unit.   No perspex front - this is due to having to remill the chassis to fit the new pot Screws don't correctly line-up / aren't fully tapped - again, due to hand assembly and need to rush...
Sorry mate - I can't actually recall - and it's now been more than two months since I had to return it to Sayan.  You could try asking in the main Pono thread.  You'll get a pretty rapid response.
I had the cut-out issues (right side only).  Eventually I just switched to a Shure cable.  Zero issues since then.
Will be checking at home around mid-day today - courier usually arrives during my lunch break, and house is only 10 minutes from work. As long as it does arrive today - and it should - then I'll defintiely have some notes for you tonight.
 Hi Pod Hopefully it should be arriving today.  I know it's cutting it fine - Martin will be a lot better organised next time he ruins a KS campaign (some ideas already in mind).  The prototype he's sent down will essentially have most of the parts for the final.  But it's hand assembled. and won't look pretty. It will have the pot in place - but the case needs remachining and the PCB will need some minor adjustment before it goes final.  Even though this one is just...
 Hi again Zachi I think there is about 45 hours to go on the KS - so still enough time for me to post actual quick impressions once it arrives. I really don't want to speculate on overall power - until I can compare the output with some harder to drive headphones. I haven't heard the E12 - but I do know it is a powerhouse (for a portable amp), so it really does depend on what you're trying to drive with it.  If you can let me know your headphones, I may be able to help a...
 The one I originally tried was the low power amp, and it was essentially acting as a tube buffer - as the output was slightly lower than the input. The high power one arrived with a channel out - so I couldn't test it at the time.  The new design combines the two - so it will definitely be acting as a true amp this time, and the volume pot + eventual addition of a gain switch will give it more versatility. Unfortunately I can't answer your second question yet.  The pots...
 Not yet - I have a phone call with Martin tonight. All I can tell you is that based on the measurements I've seen, the workmanship of the original unit I had for two days, and the decisions Martin has taken with amending the design, I have no regrets backing the project. Even if the KS finishes before I get the next prototype, I'll still review it.