Posts by Brooko

Hi Makiah - either you're a true golden eared listener (I've yet to meet one), or I think your tests are probably flawed (two different masters, bad encoding, not volume matched etc).  Especially when you say "the obvious difference".  Suggestion - try that quote over on Hydrogenaudio forums.  You'll get a bit of a shock at the response. The link I left in my previous post is easy to follow and gives you a simple way of testing yourself properly.  I'd really suggest...
 The funny thing about it is that you'll hear the differences if that is what you believe and you've never tested yourself properly (the incredible power of your brain).  However - after testing and knowing you stop worrying about the differences in file formats (knowing you can't differentiate anyway).  This then lets you just enjoy the music and the only question you need to answer then is if there is a better mastering of the album you want. The other good thing for me...
I haven't heard the HE500 but its generally rated pretty highly.  As long as you have sufficient amplification - I'd probably go in that direction first.  Resale value around the USD500 mark would mean that if it's not to your liking, you wouldn't lose too much moving it on if it turns out not to be to your liking.  And there is no substitute for actually spending time with a can.   But again - don't write the HD700 off your radar.  As KC Jag said above it is very good...
Thanks guys.  I'm not sure what the DAC chip is - had a feeling it was one of the cheaper Sabres.  I'll email Wolfgang today and ask the question.   I'm now running the uDac-3 every day from my work PC (with a pair of DT880s).  It's a marvelous low cost solution . 
 I take it you've never conducted a fully blind abx between mp3 320 / aac 256 and lossless using the same source (transcoded properly) and volume matched correctly? I'll give you a little tip - you can't actually hear anything above 20 kHz - so how could it be doing what you're suggesting. Here - the software is free, all it takes is time - test yourself (http://www.head-fi.org/t/655879/setting-up-an-abx-test-simple-guide-to-ripping-tagging-transcoding) You may find your...
So sell the X5 and buy a Cowon.  If you put it up on the FS right now you're almost guaranteed to get a buyer and hardly lose anything.   I know your disappointed - but if it's not the right DAP for you (and clearly by your comments it isn't), sell it and move on 
I could be wrong - but I'm pretty sure the file limit is across multiple folders - but only through the tagging system (ie scanning the file tags).  If you're browsing by folder, the limit doesn't apply.
 Actually - I wouldn't (personally) discount the HD700 yet.  Easy to drive - and the bit I highlighted in red sort of does describe it. The thing is - they can be picked up in the 500-600 USD range (used but close to new).  At that price - IMO they are good buying.  Their biggest issue is the spike in the treble - but that can be EQ'd out if you need to.  I came from a woodied 325i (my shells were Iroko) - and ended up going to an RS1 (vintage) which I sold because it...
Like I said - there is no right or wrong with this - just opinion .... and the pursuit of knowledge.   Post back about the volume thing if you get the chance to do a test genuinely interested.  Using an spl meter opened my eyes about a lot of the differences I "thought" I heard.
1) http://www.head-fi.org/t/710973/shure-srh1840 2) http://www.head-fi.org/t/711341/flagship-gear-sale-selling-most-of-my-stuff