or Connect

Posts by Brooko

Bob - I'm an idiot.  Still have the Sabres - and just noticed that there was an included plastic pouch inside the courier envelope with the filters.  Questions:   Is the tuning on the finals the same as for my prototype? Are the filters what you were running with?   If answer to both of above is yes - do you want me to formally review the prototype?
 I haven't heard them yet - but I'm really confused - and wondering why the graph actually says these have great upper mids, but you're claiming they're not. The upper mid-range starts from just after 1 kHz - and it is precisely in the 2-3 kHz range where the Nova has a slight rise.  It's only about 2.5 dB - but its exactly this frequency range which gives air and sweetness to female vocals.  The range at 3.5-4.5 has virtually no effect on vocals and its an area a lot of...
 Sorry - not likely to get the chance to try Aether (I'm many 1000s of kms from the makers - and they don't know I exist ), and I'll wait to hear the Nova eventually when it goes on tour.
 Yeah I was talking about raw - I'm a bit like Ken, would prefer to use raw than compensated.
 No problems and thanks for the kind words.  When I was running, it was really hard to find a good IEM because of the bone conduction.  Basically your ears seal, sound is magnified, and your head becomes an amplifier.  Classic example - go for a run, get the heart rate up, and then put your fingers in your ears to seal them.  Listen to your heart beat.  Unseal them - it disappears.  Neat huh?  Sealing your ears turns your head into an amp. So when you're running or...
 With the Orion, I measured a close to 10dB drop between 2-4 kHz (my gear is nowhere as good as Ken's so I'm hoping he posts an Orion graph at some stage).  Anyway - the point is that you lose none of that excitement with the Orion do you?  So why should a much smaller drop with the Nova lose it? It sounds like you and I have similar tastes - so I'm betting the Nova will be great for you  
 You'd have to also mimic the rest of the frequency response to get an idea.  Just dropping 3-4 kHz down on any IEM won't tell you anything.  And why do you need to go down 5dB. As I stated previously - if the ave flat-line response is around the 1 kHz mark, then it has a rise of 2.5 db, above and a drop of 2.5 dB below. And I have plenty of IEMs with a far deeper drop (refer those ones I listed) to know that with the proper tuning you won't notice it. I see you show no...
 Jon - do you think that maybe your judgement re bass may be slightly clouded because you are used to the A83 or similar IEMs (which has elevated bass)? I see you and I share a lot of gear in our profiles, and I know in the past when I've been reviewing, I've actually clouded my own judgement a couple of times by listening to too many triples with elevated bass responses.  It's on my list to write a blog post at some stage - "the mistakes I've made as a reviewer" type of...

I'd suggest X3ii - has a variable line-out which is perfect for the IMS HVA. Almost same size as X1.  A lot more power and features though.