Posts by Brooko

Set-up : PC > iFi Micro iDSD > Titan / Altone Before I started, I set-up with a calibrated SPL meter - matching within 0.2 dB, and using a volume attenuator with the Altones, and a splitter from the iDSD, so that I could fast swap and stay volume matched.  For volume matching I used a fixed 1 kHz tone. I just used random tracks from my test tracks list for the subjective comparisons Both IEMs had Comply tips - the Altones had Comply S, the Titans T200s First - its quite...
HD600s in a heart beat.  The Titans are a very good IEM that punches way above its weight for the price.   The HD600's are a timeless classic that can hang with headphones in the $400-$800 range, and not look (sound) out of place.   Mine get equal listening time with my T1s.
UIP - I can do a completely subjective Altone vs Titan comparison.  Bit swamped at the moment - but will try to address tonight when I get home.
 Souldriver - on the review bias.  You could also look at it this way.  Sometimes actual owners have bias as well - it's almost like a confirmation/justification bias - they ponied up the money, and now even though they might have faults, (some) owners can gloss over issues because they want to justify their buying decisions.  Lets face it - everyone has bias at different levels. On the leakage question - no the apple earpods leak more (both ways - in and out).  I also...
Was just taking a rest from reviewing (and working), and ran across this guy .....     Which led to his bandcamp page - https://dubfx.bandcamp.com/album/everythinks-a-ripple   Shortly going to buy his album.  Not my normal type of music, but this guy is incredible.
He's been able to test as he's developed, and he's got pretty much everything nailed.  Last changes are the volume pot and switchable gain.  He's measured on his test bench - but I suggested to him that there is no point me reviewing without getting the unit pretty much as it'll be shipped.  So once the pots get there, he'll put one together ASAP, then get it through to me.  I'll fast-track the review at that point - not something I usually like doing - but given timing of...
@AuneAudio Can I also please make a suggestion - regardless of whether I am picked or not. In your original post, you mentioned: I'd suggest you probably want to qualify this by "selecting 5 lucky participants to receive the B1 for free" - and not just making it the first 5 who post their reviews.  I'd imagine you are aiming for the quality of the reviews posted - and not simply the speed at which they are posted .  The way it is written at the moment is slightly ambiguous. 
 Sarah - we have an agent for Fiio gear in NZ - www.soundessentials.co.nz Really good to deal with.  My suggestion would be to join a few threads here on Head-Fi, build a bit of credibility (comes with time), and watch the FS forums for some good deals on headphones - that's how I started out. Once you have a bit more experience here, I could always send some of my Fiio gear to try (there would be conditions obviously).  BTW - if you're in Auckland - you might like to...
It's a very interesting question - particularly so for me as a reviewer, and also when researching gear for myself.  Addressing your initial thoughts:   Does the person have experience with the equipment? Hugely important - and definitely YES.  Why would I ask anyone for advice on gear if they've never heard, or in anyway experienced the gear I'm researching.  I'd like to think of myself as a reasonably objective subjectivist.  I use graphs and measurements in my...
NZ / Australia tour page is here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/767791/fiio-x5-2nd-generation-australasian-tour-s