Posts by Brooko

Couple more while I think about it:   Estas Tonne - http://estastonne.bandcamp.com/album/bohemian-skies   If you like an Indie flavour :   http://yesper.bandcamp.com/album/cannibal-king   These guys are very good (brother and sister) - http://www.angusandjuliastone.com/     And for an unplugged rock experience - Seether's "One Cold Night"
Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live   Here's a few to get you going:         The album is definitely worth getting.
Wow - tip rolling with the Alpha Genus has been a real eye opener!   I recently switched from the silver filters to the ebony ones - mainly because the silvers (with a good seal) are a little too warm and bassy for me. Comparatively I found the ebony filters with stock tips a little light - quite linear, but light on the bass.  I haven't been able to use comply tips so far - because they haven't been sticking properly to the A-G nozzles when I get a deep ear insertion...
We talked about this a while ago - so I've finally compiled a list of test tracks that I use frequently when testing headphones.  Not all of them are always used - and a lot have no real reason (some aren't even the best quality mastering) for being listed other than the fact that it is music I like, and gives me a feel for performance across different genres.   Anyway - here's the list.  Will be interested to see lists from the other testers - it might be a great way to...
Many thanks Luke for giving me a plug.  I certainly didn't expect the contact from Sunggoo (he PM'd me a couple of days ago) - and I'm definitely looking forward to reviewing them.  Thanks also for your initial reviews here.  I'm looking forward to hearing the Altons based on your description.   Definitely like the look of the smaller build.
TD - I already PM'd Bob on this - but what's your take on the filter?  I find the ebony ones a little too bass light, and the silvers a little too bass heavy.  I'm usually a "neutral-head" anyway.  I'd love a filter in the middle of the two of them ..... 
I have the HD700 and the X5.  It drives them perfectly - straight out of the X5 with no add-on amp.  I compared with my Audio-gd NFB-12, and noticed no loss in dynamics.   I compared both volume matched with an SPL meter.   If the DX90 makes the HD700 sound dull and lifeless - especially given that it was designed to be driven more easily than it's higher impedance brothers (HD800, HD650, HD600) - then I would be very worried about the DX90 as a source.   The X5 does...
 Different folks - different strokes ....... or YMMV . Personally speaking, the main reason I purchased the X5 was so that I had a great sounding player, that would hold all my music, and be playable on all of my headphones without the need for additional amping. When I was reviewing it, I extensively tested the X5 (accurately volume matched with an SPL meter) on the same files compared to my desktop NFB-12.  There was essentially no change in dynamics with my full sized...
 Have you compared both side-by-side?
Thanks Bob Appreciate it. Once again - if you need assistance with freight to NZ, please PM me. I know I am likely to be most expensive freight so am happy to assist.