Posts by Brooko

Thanks for the detailed reply.  Difficult to comment further - especially as there are a number of factors which you may have which are impossible for me to replicate ...... By the sounds of things, the HD600 you tried were 'aged' and not sure what condition pads were in - this can dramatically affect sound Not sure how old HD650 were that you tried,  New silver driver HD650's are much closer to HD600 sound My critical comparisons were in a quiet room, volume matched (SPL...
 Many thanks.  Will shoot you a PM - but will cover any costs via paypal if that's OK.
 Thanks.  In other words what you heard, while best intentions, is anecdotal.  Even with a mere 1 dB volume difference, we perceive the louder signal as being clearer, better definition, more sound stage, less veiled etc etc.  Notice how these are usually the same comments from a lot of people of how their amp improved the overall sound. If a headphone is being correctly amplified (delivered enough voltage and current) by the inbuilt amplifier (and X5's was designed to be...
Luke - if you want I can send my DN-1000 over.  I don't really use it much more except for comparisons.  It has the slowly stiffening cable issue, but would at least let you do more comparisons and see if it's worth it.  I have to send Vic's gear back in a week or so anyway - and was thinking about doing a RockJaw tour (so it would give you a chance to listen to the Arcana (think you'll like them) and the Kommand.   We can take this to PM in the weekend.
How did you volume match when you were doing your comparison?
@rovopio  - here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650   Side by side A/B. Pretty recent.
 I'll keep this one short - again using the X5.  On the binaural track I just tested, the Havi is closer, not by a huge margin though. On Loreena McKennit's Dante's Prayer the Titan has more width and depth also (more of a sense of width though). The Titans are more natural tonally as well.  Havis present vocals quite nicely though.   The R3 vocals are definitely more intimate, and they are more energetic. The Titan is more laid back and the vocals have a little distance...
 I wonder if the tips are making a huge difference then.  I used same comply tips for my comparison above.  I own the T1 (love it), and while I would consider it a good reference can, I don't rate the DN-1000 at all as a good reference.  Too peaky (quite strident) at times and too much of a V for my tastes. I'd much rather take the A83 - and even that is not what I would consider reference.
For @H20Fidelity and @jaker782   Luke already knows my preferences - but see any of my reviews for reference points to what I like, what I don't and where my personal bias sits.   DUNU Titan vs DN-1000   Tracks from my test list , DAP used was the X5, volume matching was done with a 1 kHz and 3 kHz test tone.   DN 1000 has a lot less sound stage, and at first sounds a lot clearer - almost etched.  After a bit of back and forth I realised clarity was probably equal...
 Here : http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurement-procedures