Posts by Brooko

Try seeing if you can hear any hiss at normal listening volume (you won't be able to).  I think that is what people mean when they say the amp has a silent background. Then imagine it with music playing. Nothing to worry about.  You'd deafen yourself before you heard the noise floor.
Sorry - haven't heard either.  You probably need to actually ask that in the portables forum area.  if you're going to though, it would pay to give as much info as you can - including:   * budget * isolation requirements * cable preference (up or down) * what type of signature you prefer (bassy, neutral, bright etc) * what headphones you've used, what you like about them, what you disliked * what type of music you listen to (genre / artist examples)   The more...
HBB   Just an idea - you may not like it ......   But as a start up and shut down animation, to compliment your theme.   Close up of a turntable, with someone putting the stylus in place on the record.  Shutdown would be the reverse - lifting the stylus off.   Just seemed appropriate.   Not sure how difficult it would be to source/create though .......
 My advice - take your time, enjoy each step.  Update your headphones and use them with the X5.  If you need an amp (or even if don't but still want one), go with an E12 or E12a (or an Arrow) - they won't break the bank, and they will be more than enough to power what you're intending. The X5 DAC is very good. Save your money and worry about your next upgrade in another 6-7 months. One thing you will find eventually in this hobby is that you'll start looking back, and...
 I'm no expert on amping :)  I'm just a realist when picking through the claims for major changes in SQ, when in reality any changes can be extremely minor or negligible.  There are some cans that need amping - but they are fewer than most people realise.  I think a lot of people just like the idea of carrying a round a stack.No issues with that personally.  I have an E11K and X1 for the odd time I want to drive my T1s or HD600s (and if the X5 is unavailable).  But for...
 Thanks for the detailed reply.  Difficult to comment further - especially as there are a number of factors which you may have which are impossible for me to replicate ...... By the sounds of things, the HD600 you tried were 'aged' and not sure what condition pads were in - this can dramatically affect sound Not sure how old HD650 were that you tried,  New silver driver HD650's are much closer to HD600 sound My critical comparisons were in a quiet room, volume matched (SPL...
 Many thanks.  Will shoot you a PM - but will cover any costs via paypal if that's OK.
 Thanks.  In other words what you heard, while best intentions, is anecdotal.  Even with a mere 1 dB volume difference, we perceive the louder signal as being clearer, better definition, more sound stage, less veiled etc etc.  Notice how these are usually the same comments from a lot of people of how their amp improved the overall sound. If a headphone is being correctly amplified (delivered enough voltage and current) by the inbuilt amplifier (and X5's was designed to be...
Luke - if you want I can send my DN-1000 over.  I don't really use it much more except for comparisons.  It has the slowly stiffening cable issue, but would at least let you do more comparisons and see if it's worth it.  I have to send Vic's gear back in a week or so anyway - and was thinking about doing a RockJaw tour (so it would give you a chance to listen to the Arcana (think you'll like them) and the Kommand.   We can take this to PM in the weekend.
How did you volume match when you were doing your comparison?