or Connect

Posts by Brooko

[Mod Comment]   If people want to debate burn-in, there is a thread currently open relating to the MEE P1 http://www.head-fi.org/t/815002/discussion-on-mee-p1-and-burn-in   Let's keep this thread clear - OK?
 Thanks Luke - that is really informative. So doing what I'm doing is also a reasonably reliable way to get an indicator if there is anything big going on with regard to frequency variation - as long as I'm: Comparing rather than saying the measurements are stand alone accurate Very careful with consistency in set-up, tips and insertion methods Allow that minor variations can be caused by slight imperfections when coupling But from what I've done so far using Veritas (for...
[Mod Comment]   I've had to step in here after flags were raised.  Please quit with the facepalm comments.   Secondly - has anyone actually compared the W5 side-by-side with the DIY alternative?  Unless you have then claiming one is equivalent or better than the other is simply a guess (this goes for both sides). I'd suggest dealing in actual facts gentlemen.  If you haven't compared you quite simply do not have a post-worthy opinion.  So leave it out please.
Last one - relating to the Fidue Sirius   Measurements - and yes I know, you refute the accuracy.  Usual disclaimer - Veritas is not calibrated, and does not give accurate raw data from 4-5 kHz north.  It seems to be pretty surprisingly good below that which is why i use it.   First one I took - maybe a few hours after getting them. I should have done it straight away.  It's using the Veritas recommended set-up (Startech card).  In both cases, tips are the same (Shure...
OK for this one all I will deal with is your section:  The issue I have with the normal "I heard it so it must exist" approach is this: We know that accurate and reliable auditory or echoic memory only lasts for around 10 seconds at most, and often is a lot less. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echoic_memory We can hold large amounts of very accurate date for a very short period of time   Now look at the actual hard data we have from someone like Tyll's experiments.  Notice...
 How can you make a decision under uncertainty?  You don't have the facts.  All you can do is make a guess.  If thats what you have - and you choose to discard anything else - then I agree, this thread is pointless - and I'm willing to disengage now.  The real fact is that you bring nothing new - just a return to the old "I heard it therefore it must be real".  Why would we need any of this?  Can we agree if its audible, its also measurable?  And also that if its clearly...
Micah - I hope its OH - but I'm going to try and take your post in stages - and shorten it.  otherwise these posts get too long.  I'll try to also bullet point things so we get to the essence. First point - you seem intent to put me in a box - so lets address that first  Nope - you are jumping to some huge conclusions.I have not noticed any effect that I can attribute to burn-in. I have also not measured anything I think can be attributed to burn in.  I'm not saying it...
 Thanks for turning up Luke.  FTR I don't expect to get the same results I would if I owned a GRAS or other TOTL product.  But as you said - it was designed for home builders of IEMs, and as such (correct me if I'm wrong) - it should be able to pick up changes of 0.5dB or more - when comparing the same IEM, same tips, same position of the IEM in the  coupler etc.  It is after all simply a mic in a coupling tube. Because if you're suggesting that it can't reliably and...
 Pleased you bought these articles up actually.  Now lets actually read them and see what they say. The conclusion is quite telling:  Now remember that this is from the AKG Q701.  And the differences were so small that even Tyll was questioning if they are actually audible. Now apply the mechanics of this full sized headphone (correlate it to the data from the Shure Engineers) and then apply it to an IEM with drivers a fraction of the size.  Remember - it was the MEE P1 we...
I moved all the burn-in discussion to Sound Science - feel free to continue it on there   http://www.head-fi.org/t/815002/discussion-on-mee-p1-and-burn-in