Posts by VandyMan

One more... Ken Rockwell measured a channel imbalance of around 1.5 db on the DAC-1 HDR (worst case), if I'm reading correctly. That is more than others measured and could admittedly be audible for trained listeners under ideal conditions, but it is still very low.   http://kenrockwell.com/audio/benchmark/dac1-hdr.htm   If you are getting significant channel imbalance, have you tried adjusting the calibration? Here are directions Benchmark sent me a few years...
I came across this old thread today searching for info on ATH AD-700 replacement pads. I ended up emailing Audio Technica and they charged me only $11 including shipping! That is less than I saw on eBay for and way less than Audio Cubes II changes.
I read your previous post ("not that appealing") to mean you don't own one, but it is not important and I will certainly take your word. I assumed incorrectly that if you owned a Benchmark DAC for any significant period of time you would not be claiming the volume control becomes noisy without first-hand experience.   It is not just Stereophile that found no significant issues with Benchmark DACs in their measurements (and they have reviewed/measured at least three...
 No measurements of the DAC-1 or DAC-2 that I have seen show any significant channel imbalance. Stereophile measured 0.25 db at high volume on the DAC-2.  How long has the DAC-1 been on the market? Must be close to a decade. It is one of the top selling DACs on the market. So where are all the reports of noisy or failing volume controls? It sounds like you don't own one and you don't actually know for certain the make/model of the volume control, but you are claiming...
The Benchmark volume pot is not "lousy." It is accurate and silent except for faint motor noise when it is adjusted. It is untrue that it is "not exactly a high-end part." The analog section of the Benchmark measure better than the majority of high-end pre-amps. The digital volume is essentially perfect, measurement-wise. Maybe motorized pots have issues in theory, but please point us to any online reports of the Benchmark ones becoming noisy. I've got thousands of hours...
 I agree. My initial reaction to the PM-1 was that it was lifeless. However, I've had that experience before with very flat systems, so I know it is just a matter of getting used to the sound signature before judging. I'm looking forward to giving it (or more likely the PM-2) an extended listen at some point soon.
 I was not involved in the original arguments. I never heard of newavguy until after he disappeared. I own no Schiit gear (but they do seems like they make some great stuff). So, I read the old topic as an outsider. If you go back and re-read the first few pages, you will see that newavguy was pretty much totally correct in what he said and the guy trying to answer was using character assassination. I don't know that person and have nothing against him, but that is how it...
 That is not really fair. Consider that we are responding to a chapter Jason wrote on this subject. Jason is the one who posted the link to the old topic. And how is this NOT part of the history of Schiit? Jason thinks it is. Besides, there will not be a new chapter for a week. I'm not suggesting that the whole argument should be redone here (please no!), but I certainly have found the discussion so far to add to my understanding of the chapter I just read.
I just read some of the old "What causes this" topic that Jason linked above and was struck by the fact that the guy who was correct is now banned and the guy who was super obnoxious in defending Schiit is an admin. I'll take others word for it that newavguy deserved to be banned, but it does seem strange looking back on it. Either way, I'm really enjoying Jason's writing.
Maybe next meetup we can do a shoot-out to find the best headphone for live audience recordings.