or Connect

Posts by VandyMan

I just received mine back. I got the upgrade for free (the deadline was Oct. 2015), so it was an easy decision for me. Like you, I figured that II should get the upgrade to preserve resale value, even though I'm not interested in DSD personally. You should know that the upgrade took three months (door to door) and I had to pay for insured shipping to Rhode Island. (All in all, a very generous deal -- thanks Auralic!) If you had gotten the free upgrade, it would certainly...
 I got to try the latest iteration at the recent NY meet up (and bought an Ether C too). Thanks Dan! It is not overly heavy. It is very comfortable, like the dynamic Ethers. I did not listen long enough to really come to a conclusion about the Ether E vs my Stax 009, but the Ether E is certainly in the same general league as the 007 and 009. When my BHSE gets here, I'm planning on taking advantage of the two headphone outs for shared listening. I'm thinking I'll either get...
Excellent video. Really appreciated that it gave an explaination of the technology claimed to make these headphones special and that it included measurements. Who makes the headphones stands shown in the still from the video? They are very nice looking.
To be clear, I said that based on several posts in this topic where more knowledgeable people that said the imbalance issues tends to develop with the first couple months.I was concerned about it when I was trying to decide if I should go with Price Japan or STAX USA for my purchase. STAX USA had a sale, settling the issue for me. In retrospect, I'd probably go with Price Japan, but it is important to understand that there is always a risk of warranty issues when making...
 There is zero chance that the rate of this problem is 50%. There are at least a dozen of us here who have purchased the 009 in the last few years. There are hardly any reports of channel imbalance problems on Head Fi in the last couple years. astrostar59's issue developed after owning his 009s for nearly two years. That is totally atypical in how the issue has been reported in the past, so it seems likely that his headphones developed an unrelated channel imbalance issue,...
Is there anything about the tech of the Ether E that is superior to the 009 or is it just a different sound signature?
Some good points made. However, I don't think the poll has any meaning at all. Of course it is amusing and generating discussion, so that is all good. The poll does not reveal how many of us sold/replaced a given model in the first year, only how many say they kept it. For example, 24 people voted for the HD-800. If one person sold their HD-800, then 24 or 25 is really impressive. If 100 people sold their HD-800, well not so impressive after all. Without that ratio, the...
Also, I'm relieved to see that the A-16 is planned in a more traditional form factor as well as the headphone stand shape.
Very impressive. Smyth seems to be addressing just about every criticism and suggestion plus they have come up with a bunch of new ideas too.   
If you could devise a poll that also showed the owners who were NOT happy with and/or replaced their ToTL headphones in the first year, you could create a ratio for each model between the two polls that might be revealing. It would correct for the relative sales volumes of each headphone model.