Posts by VandyMan

I was making a joke, but I was under the impression that if you don't defend a patent you can lose it. Maybe I'm confusing that with trade marks.
Congratulations to Jerry Harvey on the ideas (I have a JH13) and congratulations to his lawyers on all the money they will be making. Now, by law, they have to defend the patents. Let a million cease and desist letters bloom.
(Deleted comment - Thought better of getting involved.)
 It is not a pity. I got a great deal on a very good amp. Besides that, getting a good used KGS-anything takes patience and luck. Not that many were ever made, they don't get sold that often, and they usually sell fast, if fairly priced. The whole point was to get something very good right now and save money so that I can get a TOL amp in the future (as I said in my original post). I don't have my 009s yet, but I've heard the 727ii amp and am quite happy. I happen to have...
 Well, I did ask for opinions, so I think him for sharing his original comments even though I did not find his arguments  convincing.
 Since I'm the one who originally asked about using a modded 727ii w/ 009s, let me correct you. I purchased a used 727ii w/ the feedback mod for $1,300. Someone offered to build me a KGSS for $2,100. I gather that the KGSShv costs quite a bit more. So, I could have had a KGSS for only a little more than the retail price of an unmodded 727ii, but NOT a KGSShv. Plus, I would have had to wait for the KGSS to be built and would not have a traditional warranty. Additionally,...
This has been up at the Smyth website for years, so they clearly believe they have something to license: http://www.smyth-research.com/licensing.html
 Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to buy a used modded SRM-727ii to get me started. I got a good deal and am picking it up in person tomorrow. Something better in the future, perhaps.My front-end will be Mac Mini->Auralic Vega, so I think I'm all set for when my new 009s arrive. Can't wait!
 Would this SRA-727ii w/ mods be a good choice? http://www.head-fi.org/t/743476/stax-srm-727ii-with-feedback-mod-done-by-head-amp#post_11086305 I'd buy a KGSS or KGSSHv if I could find one for sale. Building one is beyond both my ability and free time.
It is a shame they have not managed to get anyone to license the tech. I would have though some pre-pro maker would want it.