Posts by CaveManta

Quote: Aw, man. I hate price fixing. I never thought that Sennheiser would try to fix the price of such a mid-ranged product. What a pity.   I don't know about the Beyerdynamic DT-990PRO or the Ultrasone HFI-2400. Because aren't they known to have recessed mids? I have listened to them either, so go figure. Just trying to say. Yikes, I really just don't know what to suggest. At less than $200, there just really aren't many choices. There is the Audio Technica AD700/AD900,...
The headphone for you, without a doubt, is the (in)famous AKG K701/K702/Q701. They have a very wide soundstage, along with great definition. But they really don't have much bass. You could say that this further elevates their analytical characteristics. Many people say that they sound completely sterile, which should be perfect!  Oh, but you are going to need an amplifier for them. Does that count?
One headphone I know of that fits everything you need is the Shure SRH-840. It is closed back, circumaural, has a neutral-ish sound signature with ample bass, can be driven by an iphone/other portable player with no problem, has a detachable cable, and should be quite durable. However, they look a little bit, shall I say, blank? And they might or might not be super comfortable to you. (If they don't end up being comfortable, you could switch out their ear pads with...
I would probably have to recommend the Sennheiser HD 598 for you, because it is an open headphone with a very balanced sound. They should also be able to give you some amazing vocals, because they have forward mids(Not too forward, mind you.) And it is also very comfortable, mainly because of the fact that it has slanted drivers(meaning that your ears won't be touching them.) Some people have even said that the 598 sounds more refined than the HD 600/650. And they don't...
Oh, I love the Audio Technica AD700's soundstage so much. It just makes live recordings sound so...real. Their soundstage almost competes with the my bookshelf speakers at times. I haven't heard any other open headphones yet, which is a pity. I'm just hoping that AKGs, Beyerdynamics, etc will have that "real" sound. Anyway, thanks for the list! It shall help me greatly when I shop for headphones in the future.   Here are a couple of cans that are the...
Beautiful, green AKG Q701....You will be mine....As soon as you delver beneath $200 once again. Or maybe I should go for the HD 598. Or a Denon D2000. Nahh, I'm a mid-head. So I wants some AKGs!
Here's something I'm seeing a lot...
Aw, that is a pretty sad story. There are few things as tough as telling someone close to you that their cans may be damaged or compromised. No need to feel bad about it, though. There was nothing you could do about the damaged drivers. When I was a little young'n, my dad had a $100 headset, which was probably the best set of headphones he had ever gotten before. I loved them a lot, and listened to them a ton of times while he was at work. But sadly, after a few...
Wow, it looks fantastic for a first headphone made by the company. It appears to be another headphone inspired by the design of the Pioneer HDJ-2000(The Skullcandy Mix Masters also are.) The exploded model of the headphones looks amazing! I don't know if I've seen a headphone that cheap with so many pieces. I would love to see them create a $1000-$2000 flagship headphone someday!