Posts by CaveManta

I believe that you might be referring to what is called a, "Peak." A peak is basically a type of distortion that occurs when something being recorded becomes too loud. Like, say, when someone is yelling at the top of their lungs over a microphone. Like in this video: (The following video is a little bit stupid. But it is the best demonstration I could find on Youtube of audio peaking. ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwql6_RJ348   I hope this is what you were...
Ahhh. That makes sense. So as you get older, pretty much everything is working against your hearing. Your ears are become not only older and probably more worn out, but your tightening  blood vessels could be causing more problems. Many of the "cures" for tinnitus seem to include vitamins and antioxidants that will help relax you and ease your blood pressure, which should reduce tinnitus if it is related to blood pressure problems. But what about poor people with hearing...
Quote: My brother says that he hears a "clicking sound" in his ears whenever he swallows, and it bothers him. But whenever I swallow, I don't really hear a click. I just hear my ears pop slightly. It sounds kind of like a headphone driver inflating due to improper amplification. (Computer + Fiio E5 + Y Splitter + M50 + AD700 = Not good)   I'm just glad that my tinnitus "moves aside" whenever I listen to music. Except late at night, when my ears are tired, the tinnitus is...
I have a constant hum in my right ear, at about 150 Hz. I first noticed it about three years ago when I upgraded from junky $20 cans to some okay, but highly tinny $50 logitech cans. I have no idea why I just suddenly noticed the hum, but for some reason, I feel like I have had it all my life. It sounds just like listening to a distant airplane's engine while sitting indoors. Sometimes, it seems to waver slightly, moving from 140 to 160 Hz. And also, it goes away almost...
Who can you blame: The person asking other people to suggest a headphone for them to get, or the people trying to suggest headphones that would be perfect for someone they barely know? Not all of us have heard 50 headphones, or even very many. Why should we? Most of us have done hours of research on almost every headphone. We just want to help the newbies find some good ideas to start with. And its their choice whether they do research or not once they receive those...
Quote: Aw, man. I hate price fixing. I never thought that Sennheiser would try to fix the price of such a mid-ranged product. What a pity.   I don't know about the Beyerdynamic DT-990PRO or the Ultrasone HFI-2400. Because aren't they known to have recessed mids? I have listened to them either, so go figure. Just trying to say. Yikes, I really just don't know what to suggest. At less than $200, there just really aren't many choices. There is the Audio Technica AD700/AD900,...
The headphone for you, without a doubt, is the (in)famous AKG K701/K702/Q701. They have a very wide soundstage, along with great definition. But they really don't have much bass. You could say that this further elevates their analytical characteristics. Many people say that they sound completely sterile, which should be perfect!  Oh, but you are going to need an amplifier for them. Does that count?
One headphone I know of that fits everything you need is the Shure SRH-840. It is closed back, circumaural, has a neutral-ish sound signature with ample bass, can be driven by an iphone/other portable player with no problem, has a detachable cable, and should be quite durable. However, they look a little bit, shall I say, blank? And they might or might not be super comfortable to you. (If they don't end up being comfortable, you could switch out their ear pads with...
I would probably have to recommend the Sennheiser HD 598 for you, because it is an open headphone with a very balanced sound. They should also be able to give you some amazing vocals, because they have forward mids(Not too forward, mind you.) And it is also very comfortable, mainly because of the fact that it has slanted drivers(meaning that your ears won't be touching them.) Some people have even said that the 598 sounds more refined than the HD 600/650. And they don't...
Oh, I love the Audio Technica AD700's soundstage so much. It just makes live recordings sound so...real. Their soundstage almost competes with the my bookshelf speakers at times. I haven't heard any other open headphones yet, which is a pity. I'm just hoping that AKGs, Beyerdynamics, etc will have that "real" sound. Anyway, thanks for the list! It shall help me greatly when I shop for headphones in the future.   Here are a couple of cans that are the...