Posts by nomoreink

What do you mean?  If it is designed for an 8-32 ohms load, it by design can handle loads below 1000 ohms.  
This is exactly what I am trying to do.  However, the amps I'm seeing on the CMOY and PA2V2 seem to be built specifically around headphones with a lower impedance than the 250 ohm cans I bought, so I'm trying to find an op amp that I can use in a CMOY or PA2V2 like circuit that is better suited for 250 ohm load impedance.
Thanks for both of your advice.   What I meant about the op amps being designed around a specific load impedance, can be seen on these two links: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM4881.pdf http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LME49724.pdf   The first in the typical "headphone amplifier" design.  You can see that it references some THD measurements at 8 ohms and 32 ohms, as well as output power at 8 ohms.  I'm afraid to use this op amp to drive my 250 ohm cans, as it...
I'm looking to build a headphone amplifier for my newly purchased DT770 Pro 250 ohm cans.  However, when I look for op amps specifically designed for use in headphone amplifiers, they are usually optimized for 8-32 ohm headphones.  So I look at the "professional audio" category, and the amps are all designed for the 600-2000 ohm range.   How do I select an op amp that will work with headphones in that 250 ohm range?  I'm afraid the amps built for a 600 ohm load won't...
I appreciate your input EddieE, but I just want to clarify this a little.  My colleague would not be bothered by music leaking from my headphones if it is within reason, but I am sure he would not appreciate my listening to Muse if it was as loud on the outside of the headphones as on the inside.  I'm trying to get an idea of how much sound does leak from the open and semi-open headphones.   I have never owned, nor seen a pair of open headphones, so I just have...
I've decided I want to get a beyerdynamics set of headphones for active listening at home, and casual listening at work.  I'm trying to decide between the 770 (closed), 880 (semi-open), and 990 (open) models, and also whether I should get the 250 ohm or the 32 ohm version.   I will be wearing them at work, so I worry that the 990's would disturb my officemate, who is seated 10 feet away from me.  How much sound really escapes at a regular (not loud) listening level?...