or Connect

Posts by bluemonkeyflyer

+1     One year ago, I tried 2- and 3-layer Paxmate Plus lattices in the cup floor wells:           Many mods later...   My current DBV #3 setup:   Cup floor --> Acoustipack Lite butyl substrate (instead of Dynamat with metal overlay) --> Acoustipack Lite open cell foam  --> Paxmate/Silverstone open cell "Ladder Rungs" --> Fluffed cotton --> Fiberglass --> Stiff felt over driver --> Paper between stiff felt and driver --> Newplast --> Shure 840's            
Currawong,   Do you think there is an audio benefit using a standard xlr instead of a mini xlr?     @ Michael Goodman,  how much does the M8 weigh? I wonder how much weight difference there is between a "typical" standard xlr compared to a "typical" mini xlr?
  Congo5,   Congrats on your implementation of a mod configuration that you like! I really like your idea of using rubber cement on stretched pad flaps and will be giving this a try.   Did you use the phantom power supply and Panasonic mic in your ear or your Radio Shack SPL meter?  How do you capture the test sweep when using the SPL meter? I was never able to make it work consistently. Thanks for taking the time to post your results, impressions, and feedback.  
  I read the linked post. Interesting.    Why not consider the Lemo plug? It may be better but I'm just not familiar with it.
I've been thinking the same. The dual 3-pin is too big, the single 4-pin is better, and the RSA being much smaller looks better to me on a small face plate of a Portable device. For desktop, I'd stick with 4-pin xlr.I may change my config option from 4-pin xlr to the RSA plug. I'm amazed by how responsive Michael/ Centrance is to feedback during the M8's development.@ Michael: What do you think about a mini 4-pin xlr? Seems like the best features of the RSA and...
  FWIW, IF you still want a bit more bass, you could try:   1. Seal the ear side baffle ports 2. Punch a few holes in the stiff felt over the back of the driver grid 3. Enlarge your 3 mm modified bass port to 5-6 mm, or 4. Remove your modified bass port and leave the cup vents stock with their black felt in place on the inside.
  P.M. me.
  No, the black material over the ear side of the baffle and driver is ultra thin and porous, no more than 0.2 mm thick. It reminds me of inexpensive 1-ply toilet paper.  Look at photo "S" in the first post of this thread to see just how thin and porous it is. The Organdi I have is similar to the stock dust cover thickness. I have another material a Canadian friend sent me that's even better; I think it is speaker cloth.   The black felt over the inside of the cup vents...
Some people have reported improved treble after removing the ear side dust cover. Personally, I cannot tell a difference one way or the other so I keep in place simply to keep debris and dust from entering the driver. Look at Picture "S" near the bottom of Post #1 in this thread. The dust cover is "sandwiched" between two, 1.5mm pieces of stiff craft felt to show just how thin and porous it is.    Organdi "cloth" is a very thin, loosely woven single ply material. It may...
  Could be too much cotton so maybe try a little less and re-test.     Self-adhesive felt will not work in this application, as suggested by micmacmo. The felt I use is from Michael's Craft Store. It is "Creatology Stiffened Craft Felt" and it is ~1.5 mm in thickness. If your felt is thicker and/or more dense, you will lose bass. As pointed out by Nevod, I've found that punching holes in the felt of various sizes and number, overlaying the driver grids on the back of the...