Posts by bluemonkeyflyer

I don't see any differences between the  T20-40-50RP series except for the damping:   1. T50RP          =  Stiff black felt over the internal lower cup vents allows limited venting                              A plastic cap seals the central headband screw compartment   2. T40RP mk II =   A rectangle of plastic seals the internal lower cup vents allows no venting                             A plastic cap covers the central headband screw compartment but...
  What type of cotton are you using? If it's dense and compacted, it won't perform so you have to "prepare" it by separating each ultra thin layer and re-stacking; then trim the edges, measure for the dimensions you want, weigh each block, trim the corners, and notch for the shock absorber posts. The scale should help you dial it in.    As a general rule of thumb, I set the baffle on the cotton/fiberglass in the cup and find that ~ 8 mm compression is about right with my...
  Approximate dimensions are shown in the attached pictures. Alpha Pads are about 1 cm height on the shallow side and about 3 cm height on the deeper side.   Edit: MrSpeakers' Alpha Pads sound wonderful with my modded 'phones And they're so very comfortable. The Alpha Pads are now my "Go To" pads. Well Done, Dan!   Edit: Several back channel questions about Price:Performance of Alpha pads compared to Shure 840 pads - The higher price of Alpha pads is worth their 3x cost...
Unbiased mini-review   I bought a pair of mrspeakers' Alpha Pads and Dog Pads to try with my DBV #3 modded T50RP's. My impressions and opinions may differ from yours.   I have not yet tried the Dog Pads. Here are my initial impressions of the Alpha Pads:   Build Quality: Excellent..."Period."  Professional appearance. Beautiful lamb skin. Nicely angled. Super comfortable...much more so than Shure 840 pads and FA-003 pads. The extra depth and angled...
+1   Also 6N1P-EV and 6N1P, both with gold grids. Both bias and sound real good in my PS2.
  Your pleasure and success is mine :)   No, I have not tried a "counter-treble reflector but it's an interesting idea. Try it and let us know how it works.   I no longer have the phantom power supply (gave to a headfi friend) and the mic I used for Incremental Mods and Measurements bit the dust after literally 100's of measurements. Measurements from a different kit cannot be compared to those measurements. 
  Compare Graphs 28 and 31, or any pair of graphs using the same pads. Their FR graphs and Waterfalls are very similar. You can subtract Graph 28 from Graph 31 to see if there is an appreciable difference in their FRs. If so, this may offer some clues about the effects of Newplast, alone. The difference, however, may not exceed the "standard error of measurement."   Adding Newplast or similar putty unequivocally reduces the internal chamber volume and increases internal...
  +1   The initial build is "initial." Each set must be tuned to suit each modder's preferences x gear x ears.   As little as 5 mm more or 5 mm less cotton thickness can make a significant change in the FR and sound quality. 5 mm Less = less treble, more bass.   Could also try with and without treble reflector.   "Bass Boost" holes in the stiff felt are optional and not generally needed.   IME/IMO/YMMV
  Rite Aid "First Aid Rolled Cotton" works if prepared. See the preparation guide in Post #1 of this thread, following Graph 55.
  Michael's craft store: Alene's Fabric Fusion. Use 2 to 3 cm strips on 4 sides of the pads' undersurface for a semi-permanent fix.